Caught

Pierce, Temery, and Cotilliard realized the trap they walked into far too late.

They had arrived in Moriath almost exactly one day after setting out. They had not stopped, or rested, for they wanted to get this mission over with. On the way, they had discussed quite some very interesting topics. Such as...

"What do you think the Steward will think if he finds out Nick is plotting against him?" Pierce asked, breaking a very thoughtful silence.

"I don't know but I should hope he'd go ballistic." replied Cotilliard.

They were all still steaming over the humiliation Nickolas Strongharrow had put them through two nights ago. And the whole fact that they had to go on this mission to Moriath was not fueling any warm feelings towards Nick either.

"The Steward will probably have him killed," Temery said, with something that sounded dangerously like hope in his voice.
They sat with that thought for a bit.
"Do you think the Steward will compensate those who reveal a plot?" Cotilliard asked, very casually.

"Oh, I don't know? If you were on the verge of paranoia every day and you got wind of a plot, wouldn't you reward the trustworthy voices that told you?" Temery asked.

"Why yes, I believe I would, when I think about it?" Cotilliard said, with rising glee.

"You would make a most gracious ruler," Pierce said dryly. "If we were thinking of selling Nick out we have to have some solid evidence. But of course, this is all purely hypothetical." He said as an after thought.

"Of course, it's hypothetical now. But it doesn't have to be." Temery said, with the voice of a man in possession of a plot.

"And with the information that we acquire we will most assuredly get into the Stewards good graces." The rising intonation in Cotilliard's voice revealed the fact that this was becoming more than just mere plot but rather a plan.

"And then we can take care of eradicating the Steward ourselves," Pierce finished.

For it there was one thing all of the Council did agree on, it was that the Steward could no longer be allowed to continue. But it seemed that even in their shared hatred of the Steward, they still could not unite to rid their kingdom of him. Nick, was thought to arrogant, and Pierce and his followers to cunningly stealthy. No one trusted them yet. But Nick had the experience. He had the background. It was rumored that he was at the castle the night it was overtaken. But no one knew for sure, because Nick, if nothing but silent and deadly, was also intensely secretive.

The three men rode on and soon they approached Moriath. It was a beautiful day, not a cloud in the sky. The birds were singing in the trees and everything seemed to just come alive. And yet the beauty was lost on them. Perhaps the danger of their mission made the loveliness of the day seem ominous. As if everything was too good to be true.

They rode into the heart of town and decided to stop for some food and drink at a tavern. They were surprised to learn that the place was run by a woman and not the usual male.

They made their way to the counter and sat down on the bar stools. The place was old, they could tell that much, but well kept. It had a lived in feel to it as if anyone was welcome. It felt safe. And the men, despite themselves, relaxed.

"What can I get you boys?" Asked a strong female voice. They looked over and saw a woman with fiery red hair in a long braid down her back. Even from the side of her face they could tell that she was not too old, which was unusual for a wench. They were much used to older, brash battleax like women, who seemed to enjoy making their brief stays hell.