Chapter Twenty-Nine - The tragedy of triumph

Simple Plan Tour Bus

Same Night

9:45 Pm

Pat was drained.  He sat on the edge of the lounge head bowed, sandy hair lank, dull like that of a dead man.  All his emotions had been wrung out of him multiple times that night and he didn't think he could cope with anymore.  Seb sat opposite him a worried expression in bright blue eyes.

The guitarist had never seen Pat like this before and it was troubling.  He leaned forward to attempt to make eye contact with the Werewolf.  "Pat?  Dude...c'mon...we'll get through this."

Pat gave a soft grunt without lifting his head. 

Seb sighed shifting his weight. "Look, the others...they're just shocked...I mean...damn...Pierre and you...what you are..."

The two men were the only ones left awake after Pat had finished telling them about Pierre's whereabouts and the situation he had gotten himself into.  It had not been a pleasant discussion.  Half the time Pat had wished that he could just make it all go away, wave a magic wand and make everything go back to normal.  But, he didn't have that luxury; he wasn't God. 

Shaking his head he peered up at his friend through his fringe.  "It's not that, Seb.  They...fuck...they took it all pretty damn well."

That had surprised the Were somewhat.  He had expected them to be more shocked than they'd acted.  Even David had managed to stay quiet and not react in his usual over-the-top way.  Chuck of course had been the calmest about the information, considering he had been the first to be told the truth. 

Jeff had remained silent the whole time Pat had been speaking.  Then once he'd done they'd just sat silently pondering everything he had said.  Then they slowly left and went to bed, leaving Pat and Seb alone.

Pat groaned and lowered his eyes again. 

Seb frowned.  "Then what's up?"

"Pierre..." Pat rubbed his hands up and down his thighs staring earnestly at a spot on the floor. 

Seb cocked his head to the side.  "Pierre?"

Pat clenched his jaw the sound of his teeth grinding together filling the bus.  "I don't..." Pat paused, "I don't know what to fucking do, Seb."  He kept rubbing his legs squeezing at his kneecaps. 

His friend bit at his bottom lip.  "You want to go and check on him?"

Pat shook his head.  "He'll probably be pissed at me."

"How come?"

Pat looked at Seb and answered tightly, "I took his meal away from him."

The younger male blinked. "What?" he shook his head sharply, "no...that just...sounds..."

"Wrong?" Pat's voice was harsh.  "Yeah, but that's how it would've ended up if I hadn't intervened."

Seb shook his head hard, "Lachelle...hey...maybe you should go check on her?"

The Were looked at his friend.  "You think?"

"Well, you're not going to get any sleep tonight, are you?"

Pat pinched at the bridge of his nose, his eyes closing for a moment then snapping open once more.  Seb's eyes widened slightly.

"What?"

"Your...eyes..."

Pat frowned, but then he grinned.  Springing to his feet, he squeezed the guitarist's shoulder.  "C'mon.  We'll go see how she is then."