Chapter XXXIII

The alarm blared. The sound carried all the way through the base, almost shaking the walls with sheer intensity. Nara's body shook in surprise as she looked up from her dinner. It was the first time she had heard it, but she knew all too well what it meant. The First Order was well hidden away in the galaxy and no one dared to attack them, so never before was there any reason to let it go off. But tonight was different. They were under attack.

Her first instinct was to look in front of her. On any other given day he would have been there, dining with her. But not this time. Kylo had been away for briefings all evening, leaving her by herself in their living quarters. Nara didn't mind. She had longed for some solitude, but now the alarm was ringing, the pattern of noise repeating itself over and over, she wished he was here with her.

So instead, she looked out of the window. It was already growing dark, the sun disappearing behind the thick layer of clouds, casting the red world in a blanket of darkness. There was nothing out there, at least not that she could see. The planet seemed to be empty, but she knew there had to be something. They would never sound the alarm over nothing.

Nara cursed as she scrambled some stuff together. Whatever was happening, she needed to help. Something inside her knew what it could possibly be, but she hoped sincerely she was not thinking straight. It was impossible. How could the Resistance have found them? She didn't even know where she had been living for this past time, so how could they have found out? They didn't have those resources, and Nara surely hadn't given them any information that could be of help.

Her uniform was displayed on the bed. The white plastoid had been cleaned and the pants had been neatly pressed. She knew she should put it on, but as the alarm continued to blare, Nara decided there was no time. Putting this on took ages, and she doubted whoever was attacking would wait for her to get dressed.

Without protection, but in the company of her trusty blaster, she was out of the door, heading down the hallway in a fast pace. They lived in a secluded wing of the building, and when she was about to enter the main part of the HQ, something crossed over the structure with a deafening noise. It was so loud it drowned out even the commotion from inside. X-Wings. She would recognize the sound of its engine anywhere. She had been right. It was the Resistance.

She cursed again as she halted in her tracks, debating what her next move was. The first option was to find Kylo and fight by his side. She would surely feel more safe knowing he was guarding her back, yet she also knew she had an obligation to her squad. It was her duty to command them, and so the decision was quickly made.

The Resistance hadn't managed to put their foot down on First Order ground. So far, they only charged from the skies, but its blaster rods managed to find a way to cut through the building nevertheless. Every so often it struck somebody, and Nara instantly regretted not putting on her armor.

"Have you seen H Squad?" she asked some of the stormtroopers who she passed, but they all shrugged and went on their way.

Nara continued looking, adapting her plan as she went. Whoever she would find first would be the one she would fight with, whether it be Kylo or her squad.

Someone grabbed her roughly by the back of her shirt, pulling her backwards as she almost stumbled and fell. She wanted to swear, but when she looked over her shoulder and found Kylo she relaxed again.

"You need to put on your armor," he spoke sternly, his grip releasing her.

"I had no time," Nara defied, raising her blaster as she straightened herself.

"Find the time," he shot back. "You cannot fight like this. You need some protection."

"I have protection," Nara said, a slight smile playing on her lips. "I have you."