Safe

I was hearing voices through the blackness of my mind. They were calling to me. Saying my name over and over....

Kaira.....

Kaira....

It was like listening to a record being played over an over again. All I could do was lie there unconscious.

Suddenly, Yusei appeared in my mind. He was wearing a blue jacket that had huge orange dome-like gems on the shoulders and elbows. He was wearing gray jeans that had smaller gems on the knees. And then he was wearing brown boots. Under the jacket was a black shirt with a circular mark on it. He was smiling and had his hands in his pockets. 

"Yusei..." I mumbled, turning my head.

Suddenly, I heard a gunshot. Yusei gasped and clutched his chest. He fell to his knees as blood was flowing from a wound. I reached out to him, letting out a cry of shock. 

No! Let me be shot instead! Please.... I love you too much.

His eyes were closing. I crawled towards him as fast as I could, but it seemed like everything around me was going in slow motion. He fell onto his side, his now lifeless eyes staring at me.

Suddenly, everything vanished. I sat up in my bed and shouted Yusei's name at the top of my lungs. 

"Calm down, you're all right." A woman said with a soothing voice. 

I looked beside me to see a woman sitting on a chair the same woman who had shot the officer. I found myself lying on a decent metal bed with a single blanket lying on my body. The room wasn't that big with blue walls and a nice wooden floor. I was soaked in my own sweat and breathing hard. 

I looked at her, knowing my eyes were probably as wide as dinner plates. "Where's Yusei?"

"He's in the room next door." She answered with a gentle tone. "He's making a full recovery."

I sighed in relief and wiped the sweat from my brow, my hand trembling. Was that a nightmare I had? If so, how long had I been out? I certainly felt scared and worried to the point where I felt like I should be right beside Yusei, protecting him. 

But first, I had to figure out where I was. 

 "Who are you?" I asked.

"I am Martha. I help the Satellites who are trying to hide from the police." She replied. "I am also the same person who helped look after Yusei, Jack, and Crow when they were children."

"Yeah, the police are after me for some strange reason."  I said, rubbing my temple. 

"I'm not surprised." She sighed. "They're after everyone these days."

I shook my head.  "No, this time I'm an actual subject. It has something to do with my past, but I can't remember much. After all, it all happened when I was young." 

"Wow." She said. "Looks like you have a lot on your shoulders."

"Yeah, but I don't know why." I said with a more annoyed tone. I let out a puff of air and glanced at the sheet on top of me. 

"Well, the only way you can get answers is to go to the Center." Martha said. "But, it's very hard to get in and out without dying."

"Dying?"

"Yes. They will kill you if they find you. They don't care what happens to us."

I shook my head. "I'm not going to go then."

Martha looked at me. "Why not?"

"I don't want to die." I returned the look, feeling a pang of sadness striking my heart.