Rex Goodwin

When I opened my eyes, the first thing I heard was, "She's awake, sir!"

I groaned and tried to move. My hands and ankles were chained to the arms and legs of a cold metal chair. Panic immediatly filled me. Where was I?

My face hurt like heck. It felt like it was throbbing. I was in a room with white walls and a metal floor. I was the only thing in that room. The first thing I thought about was if the others were all right. Did they getted dragged here, too? Where they in white rooms? 

I wanted to pull these chains apart and run back to Martha's as fast as I could. I heard that voice again.

"Kaira Jenkins is awake, sir."

I looked up to see a huge glass wall above the white one in front of me. Behind that glass wall was a person sitting in a chair in front of a microphone. Another person approached. He had long white hair and a gray suit on.

Anger filled my soul. 

Rex Goodwin.

Director of Sector Security. 

That meant that I was in the Center. The place where I wanted to go to in the first place. Was Yusei here too?!

The guy in the chair got up to let Goodwin sit. He leaned closer to the microphone.

"Hello, my dear." He said. 

"What do you want?" I snarled. 

"You want answers, don't you?" He said. "Didn't you want to see me in the first place?"

"No. I wanted answers. Not you." I snapped.

"You shall get your answers, my dear." Goodwin continued. "However, you must do one thing for me."

"I ain't doing anything for you!" I shouted, pulling at my chains. 

"Would you like your answers or not?" He snapped.

I sighed and hung my head. "What do you want?"

"I want Yusei Fudo."

"What?! Why?"

"He's Dr. Fudo's son. That means he knows some of Dr. Fudo's secrets. With his knowledge, we can protect the Governor through science."

"Why would I agree to that?"

"Because we'll hurt him if you don't."

"If you hurt him, I'll kill you!" 

"Such mean words for a innocent little girl."

"Well, it's true! He's my boyfriend, and he doesn't deserve to go through this!"

"You fail to understand, Miss Jenkins, that your lover walked right into Sector Security, demanding answers. He threatened to shoot me with one of his pathetic guns."

My heart sank. No. He couldn't have done that. Yusei wouldn't be that stupid.

"I don't believe you." I snapped.

Goodwin covered the microphone with his hand and talked to a guard nearby. I swore under my breath. Why did things have to be so difficult? My mind started to become clouded with confusion. Who should I believe? Who should I trust? I wanted to trust Yusei since he was my boyfriend. But was what Goodwin said he did true? Did Yusei really risk his life for me? The cops could have shot him down in an instant. What did they do with him?

My question was kind of answered when the door to this room slid open. Two guards entered the room with Yusei in the middle. They had his arms behind his back and were shoving him into the room. He looked horrible. His black tank top had been ripped off, revealing multiple gashes streaking across his chest. I could tell that he was trembling. His cheeks were streaked with blood and tears. Huge bruises covered his arms and his pant legs were shredded. I gasped.

I yanked on my chains, tears filling my eyes.

"Yusei!" I screamed. 

"Let her go." Goodwin told the guard.

My chains retreated into the chair. I sprung up from the chair and raced over to Yusei. The guards let his arms go. I ran right into him, wrapping my arms around him and squeezing tight.

"Oh my God...." I whispered, tears streaming down my face.

He gently wrapped his arms around me. The blood from his chest streamed onto my face. But I didn't care.

"I-I'm fine..." Yusei whispered. His voice was weak and it cracked. 

He was leaning on me heavily. I used all the strength I had to keep him up. To hold him tight. 

"See what happens to those who oppose Sector Security?" Goodwin said into the microphone.

I glared at him. "You..."

"Kaira, you must listen to me." He said. "If you turn Mr. Fudo in, I promise all the secrets we have kept from you all these years will be in your hands. The Governor will be safe. So will you."

"I'll never do that to my boyfriend!" I screamed. "You can torture me all the heck you want, but you ain't touching the people I care about!"

Suddenly, Yusei fell onto me. With my remaining strength, I lowered him to the ground. He was breathing heavily and his eyes were wide. I knelt down beside him and held his hand. 

"It's going to be all right, Yusei." I said, tears streaming down my face. "Please...stay with me."

"So do I hear a no, Miss Jenkins?" Goodwin said with a dark tone.

"Yes." I said.

Just then, the two guards came toward me. 

"No!" I screamed. I got down so that I was lying on top of Yusei. I wrapped my arms around him and held on tight.

Okay, I know that doesn't sound right. But, what would you do if you and your boyfriend were about to be separated, maybe forever?

When those guards grabbed me and started pulling me, I just cried my eyes out, holding onto Yusei. And you know what? He wrapped his arms around me, using all the strength he had to hold me close. 

"I'm sorry, Kaira..." He said. "I thought it would work. I thought I could do it so that you wouldn't have to go through this. I'm so stupid...."

"No, Yusei." I said. "Just do me a favor and never let me go."

"I wasn't planning on it." Yusei said. 

Then, the guards gave up. They called for more guards to come help them pick us up. It was pretty awkward. But, I knew where we were headed.

The place where I would get all my answers.