Chapter 8 - Simple Murder

“What are we doing now?” Comes Quinn’s voice, her body cloaked in rain and blackness. This night is especially dark, the only light being the cracks of lightning that flash the town of Evangrove to light for just a moment.  

“Oh shut it.” The voice of the stranger, a man’s with a peculiar Irish accent, chimes beside her. He walked alongside at an even pace to match her own and sounded much more amused, lighthearted than she did. “Just the usual, unwelcome visitors poking’ ‘round th’ gate.”

“We gonna call ‘em bandits again?” She asks. 

“Can’t you face this with a happy attitude?” The voice replies.

“I’m soaking wet and I can’t see a foot ahead of me; no.” This sort of bickering continues for several moments until they reach the concrete wall, opposite exit of the one she and the Dixons had entered, and a light above lets her gather her surroundings. She is indeed soaked to the bone, her boots making that wonderful slushy sound with every step, and so was her friend’s. He was taller than her, older too, with scruffy ginger hair and large black gauges. He looked as if he just stepped out of a hipster’s stereotype. He’d be attractive too, if it weren’t for the long, pink scar going down the right of his face. He seems to be checking over her, and snorts when his visual inspection is over.

“Damn, lass s‘ soaked t‘ the bone.” He smiles, and despite that scar, he does withhold a mild attractiveness. 

“Thanks, Lucky.” She muses. A large metal door - the only means of entrance - opens, and Isaac stands in the doorway, smiling like he knew a secret they didn’t. The man known as Lucky seems oddly enthralled, but Quinn lowered her eyes submissively. She did not want to be here.

“Glad you found her, thought you were off with your boyfriend and forget all about me.” Isaac teases, moving backwards to allow them to enter. He offers her a coat, his, and she allows it to be draped over her shoulders.

“That’s gross.” She mumbles. “It’s not like that. I love him but not, not like that.”

“You guys er’ always cuddlin’ an’ what not.” Lucky adds in, piling up the embarrassment. 

“It’s hard to explain, just, can we just talk about why we’re here? I want to go back home.” Isaac offers her a confused, slightly suspicious glance, but nods and waltzes over to a desk, and he sits on the smooth wooden surface just beside the computer. 

“Couple’a men poking around, won’t take no as an answer.” Isaac says. He relaxes and crosses his legs, glancing to the clock on the other side of the wall. “Tonight they’ve been especially bothersome. Want you guys to take care of it.” 

“No problem. Been getting a wee bit bored if m’ honest.” Lucky shakes off a bit of the wet that clung to his clothing and opens the door, revealing the rain had done nothing but worsen. “Wish the weather was nicer, but meh.” 

“Yeah, well, make the best of it.” Evangrove’s leader responds. Quinn slides the coat on one arm at a time and goes to follow her companion out of the room, but Isaac’s hand finds itself around her wrist and tugs her back in, and he kisses her despite the way she pulls back.

“You aren’t leaving me for some old man, are you?” He asks, using his other hand to lift her chin up, placing his thumb on the crest of her bottom lip. She looks away, but forces a smile. 

“Of course not, Isaac.”

“Y’know I love you, right?” He continues, moving in for another kiss, but waits patiently just a space away from her pink crescents. She knows her place and what she has to do, so she kisses him though her body language clearly shows her detest.