Chapter 3

I went back to my house to say goodbye to lil pup. I snuck in through her window and sat on the end of her bed. I grabbed her pencil case and a few sheets of paper and began to draw for her. I told her a story through pictures. It started with two figures in a white room, a young girl in a long, floaty blue dress with white roses on it and a young man in a suit and tie, the tie in the same shade of blue and a white rose pinned to his lapel. They were dancing together. "Ready?" He said. "Uh huh." She nodded. He spun her around and took the lead. They danced their way into a beautiful ballroom with roses all around and other couples in the background. The girls dress swished as she twirled and danced with him. They danced their way out of the ballroom and back out into the white plains. The young man dipped her and brought her back up. "That was beautiful you two." Came a voice from outside of the box. The figures were made into young children, the girl had a small skirt on with a long sleeved shirt and the boy had a pair of denim jeans and a simple shirt on. "Wonderful." The boy said. "You're ready for dancing with any boy who asks you." The girl blushed and said "thank you, brother." The last picture was of the two in a hug, smiling. In the corner, I wrote: I'm sorry I couldn't watch you dance, but never stop dancing. You're welcome, forever and always. "I know, one day, you'll make a young man very happy. Or a young woman. I will never judge you. I just wish I could have had more time. I know I have no wiggle room left. I gave all of mine to you with the kidney. I... I love you." I said to her as she dreamed. I kissed her forehead and left the pictures by her side.

I went to my room and made sure I had everything I needed. I grabbed my pocket knife from my drawer and put it in my front pocket. I found my dads stash of lighters and pinched one. I took a few bottles of water and some crisps. I had enough money to keep me moving and enough supplies to keep me alive. I had clothes, protective gear and everything. I knew that it was wrong to just up and leave but I had to. I left a note for dad. 'I have my key. Save me a place at dinner? I'll come back. Just keep waiting. Love Jason.' I know it will make him worry and cry but it's for the best.

I took off for the woods near my house. No one would find me there. I knew every trail, every track, every hiding place. I looked at my watch and saw that it was almost 5:30 in the morning. The sun was rising over the lake in the middle of the woodland, causing it to shimmer and sparkle. I took a small hike around the lake and through the trees to avoid the morning walkers and their dogs. I wanted to avoid everyone and die somewhere I loved. I had asked the nurse to tell the school that I would not be returning. I only knew that when lil pup showed me that picture. I had my school badge in my pocket. I want to extend my life as long as I can and do as much as I can with my time. I want to survive on my own for as long as I can. I don't know what moment is my last. It could be any minute. Who knows. I will keep hidden and travel when I can. I found myself approaching the exit of the woods. I decided that I would make peace with my demons. I climbed up a tree and started to write a few letters. I wrote one to Olivia, confessing every last feeling I had for her, one to Jack, wishing him luck with his career and few to other people. I hopped out of the tree and posted them through their doors. Walking around the estate I realised, I have never seen all of it. I explored every street and stopped off at people's houses to say goodbye. I spent most of my day wondering around. In the evening, my feet took me home. It was strange. It was ingrained in my head and it seems I can't break the habit. I jumped over the back fence to see lil pup sitting with Dad in the living room. They were eating dinner. Our cat, Jess found me in the garden. I opened the cat flap for her and she ran in. I kept it open so I could hear everything they said. "I... I wish he didn't leave. D-did he h-have to leave l-like that?" Lil pup said, as tears poured down her face. Dad just sat there in silence. "D-dad?" She asked. "D-dad! Please, s-speak to me! Dad! Daddy!" She shouted at him. He looked at her and he said "Go. Outside. And stay there!" He said, coldly. She looked so scared. She got up from her seat and opened the back door. I was hidden in the bush in front of the flap. But, not too well as Poppy tapped my shoe. "Hey Jay-Jay." She said. I flinched. "Hey, lil pup. So... you found me." I said. I looked at her face. She was crying. "What happened? Lil pup, why are you afraid of Dad?" I asked. She sniffled and broke out into huge hiccuping sobs. I brought her close, stroked her hair and calmed her down. "T-take me with you! I-I don't l-like it here anymore! He's always mean to me. Help me!" She begged. "Okay." I said. She gasped. "If he's made you feel like you are not safe in that house with him, you can come with me. We'll wait until he goes to bed. You're window is open right?" I asked. She nodded. "Good. Pack your uniform into a bag and take as much clothes and money as you can." I told her.

At 1:00am, he finally went to bed, leaving her outside. I boosted her up to her room and she got busy packing. After five minutes, she dropped her bag down and jumped down to me. "Ready?" I asked her. "Uh huh." She nodded. I pulled her over the fence and we went to the woods. She climbed my sleepy tree and I followed. We cuddled together and murmured our dreams to each other. The last of the people left our hollow as we slipped from the tree. I showed her to a small clearing and dropped my bag. "Why are we here?" She asked. I pulled out my blue tie and plucked two white flowers from a nearby tree. I placed one in her hair and stuck the other on my shirt. She pulled out her blue maxi dress and I covered it in flowers for her. "Ready?" I asked one last time. "Yes." She said. I spun her and took her hand. We did a slow waltz together in the moon light. "It's not perfect, but at least I got to dance with you. Even now, you'll always be the lil pup who had to stand on my feet to dance because she didn't know where to put her feet." I said with a smirk. "It doesn't have to be perfect. Just dancing right now, that's perfect to me. I'm glad that I got to have one final dance with my brother. Come on, Jazz Man, there are still twirls and rhythm in a waltz." She said cheekily. I laughed and dipped her. "Haha. Got ya." I said wickedly. She giggled like she was five again. We stopped and she hugged me close. I scooped her up and took her to the lake. We removed all the flowers and placed them on the lake, watching them drift away. Poppy rested her head on my shoulder. "I wish you had more time." She said. "I can't have too much time. I have a set amount but I know I have used it well." I said with a sagely voice. We sat there, for what felt like forever, just staring across the water, watching life move on without us.