Work

I woke up the next morning a little startled to find there were arms around me. I looked at the arms, and saw the red stitching on the right one, and that's when the events of last night came rushing back.

How embarrassing...I can't believe I asked Juuzou to stay...and then asked him to stay in my bed..he must think I'm pathetic...or worse..

The arms retracted from around my body, and Juuzou sat up, yawning and stretching with a little squeak.

"Good morning Juuzou..I'm so sorry about last night. I shouldn't have asked you to stay..."

"Don't be silly Y/N-chan!~ Sleeping next to you was so nice, even though you snore a little"

I groaned. "Shut up Juuzou, that's so embarrassing..."

Juuzou got out of bed, his hair standing up in the back. Stifling a laugh, I asked, "I'm guessing you have to go to work today, huh?"

Juuzou's face fell a little. "Yeah, I do...but afterwards I can walk you home from work if you'd like~"

Hearing that cheered me up, but I was not looking forward to going back to work. It wasn't the best environment there, and I knew I'd  have to explain where I'd been the past two days.

"Well, I have to shower, Juuzou. I'll see you later, okay?"

He nodded and smiled. "I'll be at the shop for lunch too~"

**

I arrived at work, extremely anxious. But much to my surprise... no one even looked at me strangely. Had they not noticed my absence? I didn't think that was likely.

I'd been there an hour when my favorite coworker, Yoriko, came in. She was the only person I could stand at this shop. Everyone else was so hostile.

She hurried into the shop, five minutes late for her shift. "Hi Y/N-chan!! Are you feeling better?" She squealed.

Feeling better..?

"Your friend came in yesterday and told us you were feeling pretty sick the past few days...I forgot his name, but he's always in here on his lunch breaks." She smiled at me.

Juuzou...that boy is one of the sneakiest yet kindest people I've ever met...

"Oh, I'm feeling a lot better now Yoriko-chan. Thank you!"

I smiled at her and went back to washing the dishes.

12pm passed and Juuzou didn't come in for his lunch.

He must have gotten hung up at work...

Around 1pm, a group of men came into the shop and sat there chatting before they placed their orders.

I was able to hear snippets of the conversation.

"Group of ghouls attacked a college in the 16th ward..."

"All over the news..."

"Lots of innocent people dead..."

"Ten CCG investigators killed..."

I froze, my blood running cold.

Juuzou...

**

The rest of my shift dragged on, the remaining five hours felt like twelve hours, I just needed to know if Juuzou was okay.

At 6pm I exited the shop, surprised to see Juuzou leaning against the wall near the door.

Relief flooded through my body, and my legs felt weak.

"Juuzou..you're okay.."

He looked at me, something in his expression was off, there was a disconnect in his eyes.

"Juuzou..what's wrong?" I asked, placing my hand on his arm hesitantly.

"Ten of my colleagues are dead. One of them was Seidou."

I gasped. Juuzou's voice was flat. Didn't he care?

"I'm..I'm so sorry Juuzou..."

"Let's go Y/N-chan. These streets....are too dangerous."

He was quiet the entire walk home, and he didn't hold my hand.

I held back tears. I wish he'd would talk to me...

"Juuzou...will you come in? I'll make us some hot cocoa."

He smiled briefly, and nodded.

**

The two of us sat at my kitchen table, Juuzou staring into his cup of cocoa, and me staring at Juuzou.

"It's okay to be sad about the deaths of your colleagues.." I started.

"Oh, Y/N-chan, I'm not sad about that. I'm not sad at all. But I did find out some information today...and while I'm not sad...I'm feeling a little...scared."

I scooted my chair closer to his, worry clouding my eyes.

"Scared of what, Juuzou? What did you find out?"

"Before the whole college attack happened..I overheard some of my bosses talking...about...you. There are a lot of ghouls who want to kill you...because of who your mother was. As you know she wasn't an innocent woman... and your bio mother was not her only victim. Your mother killed a lot of people, and not for food. Just out of spite. She was somewhat of a serial killer. She killed humans, but she killed more of her own kind. You're not safe, Y/N-chan...I can't be there to protect you all the time...because of work..that's why...I want to train you."

I blinked back tears. This was all just a reminder that my whole life was a lie. With each new piece of information I found out about my mother, I was more and more grateful to Juuzou for taking me away from her.

"Y/N-chan...why are you crying?" Seeing all the concern in his eyes was too much for me, I leaned in and kissed him.

He was startled, but kissed me back for a bit before pulling away, surprise still written on his face.

"W-will you let me train you? To protect yourself?" he asked in a quiet voice.

I nodded.

He grinned, it was the first positive emotion I'd seen on his face that night. "We'll start tomorrow~"

He moved closer to me again. "Now...what were we doing?"

He cupped my face in his hands and kissed me. It quickly became heated and passionate.

I broke off the kiss and stood up, extending my hand to him. "Follow me.." My cheeks were flushed, my voice expectant.

He took my hand and followed me, to my bedroom.

A/N: The next chapter is going to be a lemon, so if you don't want to read that, you can skip it and I'll make sure you wont miss anything by skipping it. (: