Prologue: Looking Back on it All After 5 Years

The cold wind blew on the crisp fall night, that everything started to fall apart. Of course at the time, we all thought it was a good idea. On the other hand though, maybe we knew it was not a good idea, but we were young and reckless at the time. At some time in life everybody is faced with the decision to do right or wrong. Some people make the right decision. Others regret what they have chosen for the rest of their lives. Looking back at it all made me wonder what kind of kid I really was. I thought I always knew. I thought I was always content with being who I am. Maybe the agony of it all was just too unbearable for me to understand. Maybe I just wanted people to accept me for my flaws and all. Or maybe, maybe, I was just lost and waiting to be found.
My life relates to certain things I read at one point or another. Take Cinderella for example; her two stepsisters and evil stepmother forced her into doing their chores to keep her from going to the ball, but in the end her fairy godmother saves her and she gets the fairytale ending she had always desired.
Now, I do not have evil stepsisters and an evil stepmother, and I understand life doesn't have a fairytale ending but in the end maybe all we require is some saving. Saving from who we were expected to be. Saving from the unloving families who forced us to act this way.
I used to always think quietly to myself, if Angel's parents did not ignore her, if Corey's dad did not leave him, if Jackson's parents did not die forcing him to stay with his bully of an aunt, and if my parents did not abandon me forcing me into foster home, after foster home, after foster home, would we all would be okay?
I doubt it, but okay is all we ever wanted for one another, and okay is all we ever hope to be someday. It's different now though. We are now old enough to care for ourselves, old enough to know how life works. Now, after five years, we all just recently turned twenty and we ran as far away from Massachusetts as we could, never looking back. We are still young, but now we can be young and free.
We had all lived in a supposed quaint town. With a small population of six hundred people and one small school that stood proudly in the center of town. It was a place where everyone knew everyone, and where everyone talked about everyone behind their backs. Though, it was not like that with Angel, Jackson, Corey, and I. We were probably the most honest people that town had ever seen. If we got busted for something we had done, we would gladly take the blame. We were rebellious yet thoughtful at the same time. I think that's why everyone hated us the most. Anyways, it all started on the day of my fifteenth birthday. Which also happened to be October 31st. I was the youngest of the group.
Everybody else had already celebrated their fifteenth birthdays' last year. That was only because I got put up a year in sixth grade. The only reason why I thought I was so smart was because I had experienced too much not to be. Being only fifteen years, I knew that the only way I was going to make it in this world was if I realized that I did not need any petty love from the foster parents that didn't really want me, and that sometimes when you're born alone that's the way you will die. Alone. I always thought that was how it worked. In fact, I was positive.
I was just a regular kid. I never thought about myself as anything but ordinary. I liked to hang out with my friends and blast my music as loud as I could. I did not mean any harm, but sometimes that's what life can make you do, crazy and dangerous things. One time my best friend Angela, or Angel as most people called her, was helping me plan my birthday party. Not that she was much of an angel but I guess the name just stuck to her after Colin Daniels started calling her that in kindergarten, after he kept forgetting to pronounce the A at the end.
Anyways, Angel and I compromised on just having the party at her house after her compelling story that her parents would not notice anyways. I was not in the mood for all of her crazy ideas, like having it on the school roof at midnight, or Mr. Harold's old abandoned house. These crazy ideas usually came with severe punishments. Like the time somebody called the police on us. That was fun, although I wouldn't think twice about reliving it. Situations like that were really hard to explain to my foster parents. Or any parents, for that matter.
At first we weren't looking for trouble, and mischief, all we wanted was some fun. Fun could be described as many different things. For some of the people at our school 'fun' was going out to the mall, or hanging out at the movies, but fun for us was much more dangerous.
Our violent minds could not help it. We thrived on trouble. That's what Halloween is supposed to be about, right? That is the thought that we kept in our minds as everything was happening, but what we did not know was what we had done. Not for the better, but for the evilness of it all. Bad things had happened before but nothing came close to the gruesome, vicious, cold hearted beast that came back for us.