Prologue

GRADUATION DAY:

The transformation has taken place, and you have successfully earned the title, "United States Marine." From then I felt so sure of my future, so sure of what would become of me. Jared Hastings, the marine. When Sergeant Randy Hale placed the Eagle, Globe and Anchor onto my palms, it was just the best feeling.

Pride.Happiness. Satisfaction.

Around me, I could see the rest of the marines felt the same feeling of overwhelming relief and honour, some were even tearing. Standing front line, opposite the females,  I could make out some of them eyeing up the guys. I rolled my eyes at their childishness. Girls will be girls. They all looked the same, with smug smirks on their faces, all trying to impress.

But there was one girl, front line, who definitely stood out amongst them, who looked the most dignified with her position and not at all staring like the others. My heart swelled when she met my eyes; such emotion! She smiled a small genuine smile then quickly looked away. I could only stand and stare at the piece of beauty and shining individuality in front me.

And suddenly I felt a sudden rush to run up to her. I breathed deep breaths. No Jay you can't do this. You only just became a marine mate! Small beads of sweat formed on my forehead as I held back the feeling. It was probably just the crazy hormones. Come on. Pull it together! The band that had been playing was now coming to the end of their piece and I was still finding it difficult to hold myself. I diverted my attention to the crowd in front of me, trying to find my mum. When I came across her extremely pleased face, she blew me a kiss, which admittedly made me blush a little.

My mum. Loved her to bits but she could be the most embarrassing ever. My mind and body slowly drifted back into fixed position and I was able to concentrate back on the actual graduation. The band that was playing, had now come to a stop; everyone cheered and clapped as they marched to the side.

"Senior drill instructors will now dismiss their platoons. This will probably be the last and the most welcome order the marines will receive from their senior drill instructor"

Oh holy the day was soon to be over and I was close to being an official marine! We shouted out our lines after the senior drill instructor and finally came towards the famous end.

"Ooh-raah!" We all called out in unison.

And with that we all broke our formation and fell into hugs and handshakes.