Part One:

Part One:

"Look at those handsome blokes!" Frankie laughed, thrusting a folded up clipping from the newspaper into my hand, his finger still pointing to the black and white picture of himself, crowded around the rest of us soldiers, all done up in our greens.

I scanned the picture of our group, my best mates; my brothers. We were all clean cut wearing our uniforms with pride, smiles on our faces. A group of young and strong blokes, holding our SLR's, ready to defend our country.

"Oh look, you're there too." Frankie added with a nudge against my shoulder.

I shook my head with a laugh and handed the flimsy piece of newspaper back to him.

When we arrived, I stretched my long legs out, I was used to choppers, I've been in and out of them for months now, but my young bones still ached to be in the same position for so long. We got to work on setting up our tents at the base at Nui Dat, the boys making it their own by adding pin ups on their lockers or trying to get back the pictures of their wives the other boys had stolen.

"Nice looking girl you got there, Joe." Frankie joked, looking at the picture.

"What's her name?" Skip added, looking over Frankie's shoulder.

"Daphne." Joe grinned proudly.

"And she married you? With your ugly mug?" Skip gasped in mock horror.

"Give it back ya bloody idiot." Joe laughed and snatched the picture off of Frankie.

"You know, I've got a girl at home too." He grinned.

"Those girls in your picture magazines don't count, mate!" I called out making everyone laugh as my best mate shot me a glare.

"Gods truth! Names Nancy." He smiled gently.

"Shit mate, good on ya." I clapped him on the shoulder and he rolled his eyes at me.

I looked around at my brothers as we all drank VB, giving each other a hard time and having a laugh. I couldn't help the gnawing fact that some of my brothers wouldn't make it. Shit, maybe not even me.

But it was a cause I was sworn too. I would give my life for my country, for my brothers. Even though, I was only nineteen.