part three

Zoe

I can't believe it. 

Jack can't believe it. 

Craig can't believe it. 

It's bloody unbelievable that's why. Of all the nights, in all the cities, in all the bars, that he should be here, after I've just poured my heart out about him. I'm not entirely sure that's he not some cruelly vivid hallucination, but whenever I think of Craig he looks how he did when I last saw him. This Craig is a whole lot different to my Craig. 

His hair is the most obvious difference, no longer long and flat, but slick with gel in a twirled quiff on top of his head. He's wearing jeans and a buttoned down burgundy top, with his leather jacket over the top. The change lingers around like an aura. The Craig I knew was awkward and stumbling, still not entirely sure of himself around other people. But this Craig stands tall and cocky, his body language screaming self assurance and oozing confidence. Any hints of boyishness have long gone. He's certainly a man now. 

The glass he's holding falls to the floor at the sight of me, a glimpse of the clumsy, awkward Craig that I knew pushing his way to the fore. He looks dazed and appalled to see me, his mouth hanging open and his eyes practically popping out of his head. 

A short little man wearing sunglasses, with peroxide blonde hair, dances over to him, tugging him away from the broken glass and beckoning the bar maid over to clean it up. The same man waves impatiently at Jack, gesturing for him to come over. 

Jack turns to me, his face as stunned as I imagine mine looks.  

"Zoe...I honestly had no idea he was going to be here. I'm as surprised as you are" he protests and something in his face just tells me that he's being sincere. 

That this is one of the freaky, unpleasant curveballs that life likes to throw at you sometimes, patronisingly disguised as "coincidence".  

"It's fine. It's not your fault" I say shakily, beads of sweat trickling down the sides of my forehead. 

"You're white as a sheet. Maybe we should leave" he mumbles, chewing on his lip. 

"No! I know that this is important for your career and...I'll look pathetic. I'm not giving him more opportunity to pity me. Come on" I say fiercely, squaring my shoulders and taking his hands. 

He stares down at our entwined hands for a moment in awe, as if he hadn't expected it.  

A slow smile crawls across his face and he begins to thread our way across the bar, to the table that Craig and the peroxide blonde guy are seated at.  

"Hello honeys! Isn't this fantastic?" peroxide blonde guy trills.  

Jack and I smile tautly, trying not to show how it's anything but.  

Well, for me.  

Jack is young and it's understandable that he's excited to see Craig-I can see him watching him from the corners of his eyes and his palm feels all sweaty in mine. 

"Craig, this is the kid I was telling you about! Jack Kennedy, meet Craig Twist! How's that for a surprise?" peroxide guy grins.  

Craig stands up and holds out his hand for Jack to shake.  

"Alreyt man?" he says gruffly, looking embarrassed.  

Jack shakes it with his free hand, so for one second the three of us are all linked.  

"And who is your lovely lady friend?" peroxide inquires.  

"This is Zoe" Jack mutters.  

"Hello honey bun, I'm Doug" Doug says shrilly, leaning in to kiss me on both cheeks.