[15]

Carter came around the bend, looking very surprised. He scowled at the teen, and sighed. Sherlock was standing nearby again, brushing the hair off of his suite as you wiped your eyes and smoothed out your dress. "God..." Carter muttered. "Look- (Y/n)- I'm so sorry. I knew it was a bad idea to let him come. I thought he might behave but," he bent over and apparently smelled the alcohol. His face screwed up in disgust. "I should have figured."

He pulled out his cell phone and called somebody, talking to them quietly for a second. He left the boy there, and gently held your arms. "Are you okay?" He asked softly, his eyes holding yours.

"I'm fine. Sherlock punched him." You sniffled. 

Carter smiled. "Well, he did end up protecting you. So, his job is done." He let go of your arms and scratched the back of his neck. "I'll bet you'll wanna go home now, huh?"

"Maybe." You hugged yourself and let out a little yawn. "I'm getting really tired, honestly."

"Course." He kissed your cheek, causing your whole face to flush. "I'll get you some cake to take home, but you'll have to bring back the container." 

"O-Of c-course." You stammered out. Carter grinned and went off to get the cake. 

Sherlock watched the both of you silently, the way he had at the beginning of the party. You would've almost thought you had imagined him hugging you, if not for the fact that your skin was still warm. Clearly it didn't mean anything, or else he would've reacted to Carter's peck on the cheek.

Carter came back with the cake, showed you to the door, and bed you a goodnight. Sherlock followed you outside and 'hailed' a cab (we all know what that means). As you settled in the back of the taxi, yawning and staring out the window, you kept thinking about your theory on Sherlock actually being able to love.

"Sherl?"

"What?" He asked, still staring out the window. You told him your theory in a quiet voice. He was silent for a while. "I don't have any of those pitiful emotions." He muttered.

"Then why do you care so much for John?"

"He needs taken care of. He can't avoid danger if he life depended on it- obviously." He replied quickly.

"Sure. Why do you save people from murderers and land them in jail?"

"Something to do." He shrugged. 

You pursed your lips. "Then... Then why did you save me from that boy back there? Why not just let him... Do whatever he was going to do?"

He stiffened slightly. "Because..." He licked his lips. "Because sexual assault victims always look at men a certain way... They won't talk to them- they avoid them as much as possible. If he hurt you I couldn't... I couldn't have you looking that way at me." Sherlock took a deep breath and let it out slowly through his nose.

"You don't want me to be... be scared of you?"

"You could put it that way." He said stiffly.

You digested this information. "Thanks." You leaned over and hugged him tightly. He tensed and let out a tiny, strangled noise, but you didn't care. You squeezed him gently then let go, giving him a bright smile. 

"Does this mean you actually like me as a human being?" You teased.

"Absolutely not." He grunted, his eyes glittering.

You smacked him. "Stupid jerk!" You squealed, laughing. "I hate you too!"

"Of course you do."

"I do!"

"You do not."

"DO TOO!"

"Sure."

You both grinned at each other. He's such a brilliant retard.