chapter four

The soldiers lined us up. Then they made us stand there. They made us stand all day and all night. My feet hurt and i was exhausted but i wasn't aloud to sleep. If i slept i would get yelled at, or even shot.

The other women struggled to keep awake too. Some would fall down and they would help each other back up quickly before the soldiers saw. No one wanted to get shot. Everyone wants to come out of this horrible place alive, if theres even a way out.

No one knows for sure. I thought back to daddy. "In the end, we will all be together." That gave me hope. One day i will see my mama and daddy again no matter what paths we go down.

That soldier that saved me, the really nice one, he reminds me of my daddy a little bit. They have the same kind eyes. I wonder if mama and daddy are in a place just like me.

I don't get this place at all. Why would these soldiers want their own people to suffer?

It felt like the soldiers objective was to crush our souls and make us forget who we were, crush our souls before the real work even started.

"March!"

A stern voice shook me out of my thoughts and i came to attention. I turned and followed the other women as told. They marched us into these cabin looking things that were half way into the ground.

As we walked inside i noticed how small and dirty the place was. The dirtiness didn't really faze me though. Everything around here was dirty.

"This is where all of you rags will be sleeping." A soldier spat at us. I looked at the small bunk beds. There was maybe eight of them. Eight beds. Four beds, with another one overtop of it. There was about 40 of us in this small room. No one got their own bed.

The ladies were nice enough to let me sleep on top so i didn't get squished by everyone else. When i finally got somewhat comfortable, a soldier came in. And he called my name. Not my number, my name. I climbed down shocked and confused. Then i realized who it was, the nice soldier.

"Hey Gabi" He whispered softly and knelt down to my size. I nodded and looked at his kind eyes. "I wanted to tell you goodnight" He smiled and pulled me into a hug. I rested my head on his shoulder for a few seconds. It felt like daddy tucking me in at night.

Then the soldier picked me up and laid me back down onto the bed. I curled up and fell fast asleep, dreaming about my mama and daddy. The soldier smiled at me, then turned away and walked out of the cabin.