Chapter 5

Miranda

"You should've at least asked for the name of his pack Sweetie." My mother sits on the couch of my room as I brush my hair out. A few weeks after the masquerade ball and the topic of the mysterious man is still fresh in our minds.

"He could've been my mega hot cousin in law." Marisa speaks up from my bathroom.

"He looked like he was at least 25. He already had a mate." I reply in an annoyed voice, bitter at the thought of another female touching him. "Besides, I didn't feel sparks, I didn't smell anything, and he didn't claim me."

"How can you be so sure he has a mate? How do you know he's so old? Maybe he's not mature." My mother thinks out loud.

"There is no way that dude was under 18." Marisa argues and I nod.

"Still, he didn't have a mate, maybe she's gone."

Maybe she is. Maybe she's gone! Maybe Ashton came in search of a replacement mate! But then he's not my mate, and that means he's still out there.

"I can never be with Ashton." I conclude. I can never betray my mate.

My mother stands once I've brushed my locks and styles it, using two braids to form a band and tie it in the back. The only thing I ever do to my hair is leave it hanging or toss it into a ponytail, but my parents insisted I look a little nicer today.

Apparently, not all the males who wanted to meet me were able to attend the party, so I'm back seeing men who come to visit the pack. Today's visitor, some American who wants Alpha pups.

"Put on some nice sandals and come down quickly, we'll see you down there." Mom stands and gestures for Marisa to follow. Marisa's parents are related through my mom, but they are Deltas, people who assist the Betas or General of the pack, the lowest ranking for a wolf. It's still much higher than the other few hundred wolves without ranks.

Her parents aren't around too much, their work keeps them in the village a lot, and they worry about the safety of their only child, so she's often around me or my mother. It's obvious Marisa is a bit spoiled, already accustomed to Alpha benefits, and having a family with rankings, she's likely to get a strong mate.

Alone in my room, I stare at my mirror reflection. I wasn't so ugly that Ashton refused to kiss me, maybe there was a little hope for me. I made a face and stuck my tongue out; who the hell am I kidding.

I hear my father's voice from the sun room, boasting about me to whoever was visiting. He tells a story of my latest training session, where my practice men had to go into physical therapy for a week. I hear laughter from my parents and a few other voices. There was more than one guest.

"Hello, I'm Miranda." I step in front of my parents, cousin, and two brown haired men.

"Miranda, this is William and Giovani from the Potenza Pack in Virginia, United States." I shake hands with the older looking one first, a tall, thick man, with light features. The father of the other man.

He looks like he's in his early 20's, and has the same light features as his father. He's lean, but still tall and athletic. And quite handsome. Go touch him! He could be my mate!

"Call me Gio." He shakes my hand, and no sparks fly. My wolf's heart sags but I'm a teeny bit relieved. He is a very handsome man, but nothing compared to Ashton.

"We'll leave you two to it." They empty out the room.

I frown at the door they all just went through; usually, when I don't smell my mate, the visiting male will either try and fake it or leave like a brat. Never in my life has my father left me alone, much less with a strange male.