Chapter 3

Cassie's POV

I can't believe this is happening. After hanging up on Nolan I screamed into my living room pillow to muffle the scream.

Why did nobody tell me he was coming back?! That he was back?!

Did anybody know?! Jeff... Jeff must have known.

I got up and ran across the street to the store not even bothering to change out of my pajamas. Jeff was peacefully reading as always.

I slammed my hands down on the counter and yelled at him "Why the hell did you not tell me he was coming back?"

Jeff looked at me calmly and then exhaled while rubbing his forehead.

"How did you know he's back?" He asked looking at me tiredly.

"He called me and let me know, which is something that you should have done." I answered angrily.

He sighted and leaned back in his chair.

"It was supposed to be a surprise." He said.

"I hate surprises." I said coldly.

"It wasn't my choice okay? Mom asked me to not tell anyone..." I frowned. He couldn't say no to his mother, nobody could, she is the nicest person in the world.

"Was she the one that decided that he should come back?" I asked softly.

Jeff tensed and mumbled a yes. He seems so out of it. He is usually the fun guy that always breaks the ice and now he just sits here with a scowl. All my anger melted away.

"It's going to be okay." I tried to reassure him.

"You don't know that." His gaze met mine in a dubious stare.

"He's bad news." He continued.

Yeah no shit.

"If he fucks up I'm going to kick his ass." He added crossing his arms over his chest. His jaw was clenched so tight it looked like it might break.

Talking about the situation didn't seem to help this case so I left the store and went back into my warm, cozy house.

If Nolan is here... that means he's living with Jeff... Which means he's living right next to me. Fuck.

I hope I don't see him or worse bump into him anytime soon.

When I got home the dream of not seeing Nolan was shattered as my mother told me I'd have to go to his welcome back party. I tried to reason with her and make her understand that it was a bad idea but she didn't care.

"You're going Cassie. That's the end of it." She had told me sternly. I almost threw a tantrum. Sad, I know.

I hardly slept that night.

Sean never called. I must've done something wrong. Why does nothing ever just work out for me? Especially now that Nolan is back everything is going to go to hell. I hope he ignores me and doesn't care about what I do. Part of me knows he will though. That jackass has always loved torturing me, it won't be any different this time around.

On the day of the party Michelle came over with her makeup kit and pretty dresses.

She dressed me up like I was her human doll and did my makeup.

"I don't understand why I should look my best to go to a party that is in honor of a guy I absolutely hate." I stated.

Her eyebrows knitted in confusion, "Isn't it obvious?" she asked.