Succession

In a kingdom called Sarton, where only a female is allowed to rule. The current ruler Queen Jamila is dying and has called forth her children, Lady Anne and Lord Henry. King Maximillan will be named Protectorof the future queen. Lord Henry has married Lady Diana of Kilmara. Lady Anne is betrothed to Duke Edward of Cardenell. 

***************************************************************************************************************

'My lady, Lady Anne your mother summons you,' Dorothy said as she rushed by my side. I immediately hopped off my chair, grabbed my navy blue cape and rushed toward mother's quarters. As i did the hallway was lit with candles and I could hear the Prayer Hymn being chanted by the people.

The Royal Guards opened the door and i saw mother in her night gown with ruby red covers. Her dark curly hair was fanned out on the the pillow. Father was sitting on the bed with her, his brown eyes were very sad and they were swirling like a whirlpool. Father kissed Mothers head, mother close her eyes and smiled. Father walked towards me and placed a hand on my shoulders.

'Father?' I asked.

'Anne, she was a few minutes.' He sadly said. Henry bolted into the room and Father walked towards him and nodded then exited the room. Henry walked beside me and we stared at each other, we both knew that we had to put aside out feuds for mother. 

'Come my children,' Mother said in a croaky voice. I walked towards her and Henry stood beside me.

'As part of tradition, Anne you will become the next queen of Sarton. Henry i know you feel that this is unfair but you will be promoted the Army Colonel. You wil be in charge of the 3rd Battalion. Anne you when you rule, you must understand Sarton must come before your needs. I love you both, equally...' She gasped. Henry checked her pulse and I brushed her face. She wasn't moving.

'FATHER!!!!!!!' I cried as I collapsed by her bedside. Tears were streaming, father bursted through the doors and ran towards Mother. He grabbed her in his arms, he was yelling in agony. I got up and brushed my skirt. I looked around and Henry already exited the room. I walked into the corridor and the court bowed before me. The Royal Court bowed before me, i couldn't help notice Edward's prescence here. I heard the bell ring twice, I nodded before the court. I ran through the crowd and into my chambers. 

I signalled the handmaidens to leave the room. I then stood in front of the fireplace, my cape surrounded me and I saw a silver dragon with a navy field. I could not help but think that I will be queen soon. I heard footsteps walk into the room.

'Leave!' I ordered.

'Anne?' A familiar voice asked. I felt the footsteps come close and a firm arm surrounding my body. I looked to my left and saw Edward. His green grey eyes looked at me worringly, 'Are you alright?' he asked.

'I can't Edward. I just can't!!' I exclaimed.

I could feel my stomach being shredded by wolves and my heart being burned by fire. Edward quickly hugged my and held me close. I couldnt hold myself up so Edward and I slowly fell to the ground and we just laid there. In front of the fireplace, wrapped in each other's warmth. All my troubles slowly dissappeared for that night.