Chapter 6

Her POV

At first, nobody moved. They couldn't believe that a girl like me would volunteer to deliver a child in a plane.

What can I say? Craziness runs in the family.

"What are you talking about? You're just a kid, you can't deliver a baby."

"Don't joke around like that kid! This is a life or death situation!"

My head was boiling. I'm frustrated at these people who think I wanted to joke around. Most of them were even mocking me.

Finally, I snapped.

"Then tell me people, if I don't deliver this baby then who the hell would?"

I was met with silence.

"Why aren't you saying anything? You had a lot to say a little while ago."

"Tell me! Who would volunteer to deliver this baby?"

"No one's answering? Okay then I will do it. If you can't help me with anything then get the hell away from here." I turned to the flight attendant." Miss Abigail, can you get me some basin with hot water, clean towels, and whoever has a blanket please give it to me!" I shouted authoritatively, rolling up my sleeves.

Everyone started moving around either to get the things or to stay in their seats. I went to the pregnant lady and asked her what her name is.

"My name is Ashley Martin." She stated with difficulty.

"Okay Mrs. Martin, my name is Summer, and I'm gonna help you deliver your baby. Just listen to what I say and trust in me okay?"

"Okay." She said with a shaky voice.

"Summer, what can we do to help?" Seth approached me with a serious face.

I gave him a thankful smile and looked for a stewardess.

"Excuse me but we must transfer Mrs. Martin to another room. Where can we move her?"

"In the stewards' lounge. But it only has a small space in there."

I opened the door and peeked inside.

"It's okay, it's just enough room. Please inform the pilot of the situation."

"Seth, Sean, Stefan, Stephen, can you move Mrs. Martin here please? Kenji help Miss Abigail get the towels. Aunt Em please get me as many cottons and napkins as you can. Sabby, look for a big blanket and a scissor okay? Do it fast!"

"AAhhhh!!" Mrs. Martin shouted.

"Contractions are 10 minutes apart. Mrs. Martin is this your first child? How many months is your baby? Why did the airline allow you to travel by plane?" I keep talking.

When everything was ready, I tied my hair into a messy bun and removed my watch from my wrist. I took a disposable sterile glove which I always keep in my bag, making sure to sanitize my hand.

"If that lady dies, it will be your fault." A woman glared at me from her seat.

I stared at her and said, "I'm completely aware of that maam, and I'll take full responsibility for it."

I went inside the stewards' lounge with my Aunt and Miss Abigail and closed the door. I went near Mrs. Martin and took a deep breath.

"Okay Mrs. Martin let's do this."

His POV

Every one of us was shocked when the girl volunteered to deliver the baby. I mean, who wouldn't, she looks like she's just 17 years old. But when she started giving orders to people, I was shocked with the changed in her aura. The first time I saw her, I thought she isn't the leader type. I thought she was very timid and shy. But now, her face and voice was calm and composed but at the same time, commanding and authoritative. She walked to and fro but seemed to know what she's doing. When I heard her soothing voice when she speaks to Mrs. Martin, I asked myself if that voice really came from the same person a while ago.

She closed the door 2 hours ago and it has never opened. We can hear Mrs. Martin's cry of pain as Summer encouraged her to push. I'm surprised her voice is still okay after shouting and talking for more than two hours. All the passengers outside are silently praying for Mrs. Martin. Her husband is outside the door, pale-faced and hugging his knees. We noticed that her shouting is getting louder.

And then there was silence.

Everyone froze. Time seems to stop.

Finally the door opened revealing Summer, her face sweaty and smeared with blood, her once white top now dyed with red, her hands bloody. But she had a radiant smile in her face.

She stepped forward with a bundle in her arms.

"It's a boy."

__________

Everything was a blur after that. Mrs. Martin's husband was crying and thanking Summer over and over again. Every one cheered and was smiling at the girl who saved two lives.

But my eyes were only on her. She was crying tears of joy. She was smiling from ear to ear. People were looking at her like they've seen a goddess. But Summer's eyes stayed on the child. She was looking at the baby with love in her eyes. And for some reason, I wondered what it would feel if she looked at me the same way too.