Chapter 16: Foul Play

"Foul Play"

I was too petrified to make any sudden movements. I fell for the bait and now I sat twiddling my thumbs as the chariot jostled over the cracks in the road. I needed something to distract me. Anything. My wandering eyes drifted into the men and women spilling into the narrow streets. The common people were too busy perusing the tables lined with ceramic pottery and jewelry. As the group of young elites chattered amongst themselves, I was contemplating possible escape routes. Buildings made of stone and marble rose to higher heights competing for space around the cramped roads. I braced myself as the chariot jolted to a halt. I looked around the street corners, checking for signs of Gaius. Men in flowing togas spilled onto the streets, moving at the same steady pace. So far Gaius was nowhere to be seen.

"Priscilla!" Athena exclaimed. Her voice rang in my ears. I looked at the direction her dainty finger pointed towards. It was a young lady with her locks pinned up carefully. A blue gem sparkled from her necklace. Priscilla. Athena was the first to make her way off the chariot. The only thing keeping her from running was her long purple stolla that she had to hold up. Athena crossed the road to greet Priscilla with quick pecks to the each side of her cheek. But she was not alone. Titus was trailing behind her. My jaws tightened when we made eye contact.

"As always it is wonderful seeing you two again," Athena gushed. "I am so happy for you Priscilla. You finally found someone that was your match. Congratulations on the engagement."

"Thank you," Priscilla said in a subdued voice. "I suppose it was just fate."

Athena flicked her hand in the air. "Whatever you say. Please do tell me the details for your upcoming wedding. I want to hear it," she said batting her eyelashes.

Priscilla faltered a moment, eliciting an eye roll from Titus. "Well we are going to have it on a lucky month perhaps—"

"In the springtime," he interjected. "My goal is no later than April. She insists to push it later," Titus said. Priscilla pursed her red lips together before mustering a weak smile.

"Greetings Titus," Maximus called from across the street. He waved them over to move towards the front of the line. "Perhaps you two could join us. A friend has not shown up yet, and is perhaps not able to make it."

"I am not in the mood for the theater this evening. Perhaps another time," Titus answered.

"Come in line by me Athena so we do not lose our place in line," Maximus said, motioning to Athena as some other well-dressed men joined the line. I could hardly look Titus in the eye without scowling. I switched my icy glare from Titus to Priscilla, before deciding that the imposing archway leading into the theater was more interesting to look at.

"I will leave you two to enjoy the play. I would want you to make your husband happy," Priscilla said as she hugged her friend.

"It is not too hard to do. Men are simple creatures," Athena whispered with a smirk.

"Well most are," Priscilla added. She then turned around to link hands with Titus but not before an awkward glance over in my direction before she walked off.

"You know Priscilla and her husband quite well, right?" Maximus asked.

"Not that well," I said coolly. "So what is the play that we are seeing?" I said trying to change the subject.

"I think it is called "Silent Prey" although this is my first time seeing it." I merely nodded as the doorkeeper finally admitted the growing throng that snaked out the door and onto the street. We were admitted to sit in the lower tier, close to the floor of the open air auditorium. I sat to the left of Maximus as Athena sat directly to the right of him with the other two fellows sitting quietly next to me. As I asked the other fellows what the play was about, they only could give me a vague answer.