Epilogue: Father and Son, Together at Last

*Nathan's POV*

Voltflare continues to curl around my legs like I'd just returned from a decade-long trip to another Region, and I can't help but smile. His warming touch always had that effect on me.

N wakes up a few minutes or so later and walks over to Ghetsis, who had been speechless the entire time, and he tries to talk to him.

In a short conversation with Maxwell, I attempt to take in everything that's happened in the last hour or so. Three major things pique my interest- one of Ghetsis, one of N, and one of Darkrai.

First, Ghetsis had been controlling Darkrai with his cane, similar to how Colress used to be able to commandeer and befriend Voltflare. Maxwell grins at me.

"Oh, man, you wouldn't believe how hectic that was! When I went in to strip that old man of his cane, he grabbed my leg and pulled me over the edge of the tower! Luckily, I pried the cane from his grasp and threw it to the ground below us. If I hadn't done that, we definitely would have died back there, because Darkrai's the only reason that we're still alive right now."

He gives the Pitch-black Pokemon a "thumbs-up," and I swear that I can just make out a slight blush on the Pokemon's darkened face. I wonder, for a moment, if it feels emotions the same way that we do.

Second, Ghetsis has become quite reticent. The more that N talks to his father, the more recognition seems to appear across his face. It's almost like he's finally come to his senses and realized the serious repercussions of his actions. I can even glimpse a shred of emotion on the man's face as N begins to lead him away from the rest of us- down the stairs and back into the Dragonspiral Tower.

"Hold on one moment," Ghetsis finally says, grabbing N by the shoulder and quickly turning him around to face Maxwell, Darkrai, Voltflare, and me,

"There's something that needs to be said and done concerning all of this. I assume you know what I'm getting at, don't you, N? That gift I gave you when you were still young? I told you to hold onto it and never to give it to anyone else without a valid reason."

N nods, and he removes his hat to let the slight breeze grace his green hair. The nighttime air quickly obliges, and he laughs.

"Nature is such fun, isn't it?"

He stares absentmindedly into space for a few seconds, and Ghetsis taps him on the shoulder again.

"The Master Ball," he whispers,

"I'd like you to give it to them. I believe that the "valid reason" that I had so ungraciously cast aside is now standing right in front of us."

"I understand, Dad," N says, and he reaches into his pocket to produce a clear glass box. I marvel at the parcel's condition. Somehow, even though N had been tossed and thrown all over the place, the box is still perfectly intact.

"Go ahead. Open it."

He motions to Maxwell, who shakes his head.

"I can't take that," he declines,

"Last time I used one of those, my insatiable lust for power almost cost Riku his life. I won't allow myself to make the same mistake ever again. Nathan, I think you're the more responsible Trainer here. You take it."

As Riku leaps onto Maxwell's shoulder, I hold out my hand and calmly pry the white lid from the box. I stare at the purple Master Ball inside for a few seconds, like it's made of pure gold. A few thoughts pass through my head, and, as I take the object, I ponder the best use for something as powerful as this.