10: The Elders

Chapter Ten: The Elders

A few of them have gathered in front of my grandfather's home. They look very pleased to see me, my grandfather especially delighted. I can't help but smile as I approach them. Grandpa is beaming as he reaches to hug me. I squeeze him tightly; I know the old man is stronger than one might guess, and so warm.

His home is the same as it's always been, with creaky floors and a thick, heavy front door. The mantel over the fireplace holds several pictures of me. Amun and Eleazar follow us inside and sit in the living room chairs. I sit beside Grandpa on the couch and lean into him, so glad to be reunited with someone who truly cares about me. Why didn't I come here sooner? Because you've been on lock-down, my bitter subconscious sneers at me.

"So how is your old man?" Grandpa asks.

I smile tightly. "He's just fine."

"Good, good. And Alpha Whitlock? How's he getting on?"

I purse my lips. "He seems to be doing alright. We don't talk much."

"Don't talk much?" Eleazar echoes.

They look completely flabbergasted. "But you are engaged to be married, aren't you?"

"That's part of the reason I came here. Levi and I are engaged, but I don't think it's working out." I pout my lower lip out a bit, hoping its not too much.

Grandpa grasps my hand comfortingly. "Honey, why not? What's the problem?"

"There isn't any connection between us. We aren't... attracted to each other," I explain as kindly as I can.

"Attraction? I didn't think there would be any problem with that. We have met the man, Diana. He seems attractive enough." Grandpa is chuckling and I fight the urge to roll my eyes. "Especially for a teenage girl such as yourself."

Now I struggle to not scream. "Grandpa, you misunderstand." Stay cool, Diana. You need these men to help you. "I am not attracted to jerks. That man is controlling, bossy, irritating, and inconsiderate. He's just rude! I can't marry him." I look at him pleadingly.

Grandpa sits back and gazes at me passively. He isn't as shocked as I'd thought he'd be. None of them are. Really they just look disappointed. After a beat, Amun reveals the truth.

"We know that this isn't what you want."

I look at all of them. Is that really all they have to say? Of course it's not what I want. When no one speaks, I decide to take charge and do what I came here for.

"Look, I know who the alpha of this pack is, but you are the Elders. I know that you have the real power. And what my father is doing will ruin my life. Please, do something to stop this." I fight tears back, but I am losing. Even if crying might help my case, I don't want to seem weak.

Grandpa sighs. He looks truly tortured. "Honey, I'm so sorry. This is beyond us. This arrangement is the future and security of two important packs." He comforts me as I sob.

"Your father did come to us, months ago, asking for guidance-"

"Eleazar, please," Grandpa stops him. "I don't know how much information we should disclose to Diana now."