Chapter 2: How Can I Help?

It was the end of fall and Riley had been feeling sick and getting pains all of the time. So, as anyone would do she went to the doctor. I had invited her the day before to come to my house to talk about what the doctor had said and to watch a few movies.

While I was lying in my bed playing on my phone and waiting for Riley to come, I heard a knock on the door. To no surprise it was Riley. But she had tears streaming down her face. I asked her what was wrong but she just gestured for me to sit down.

"I'll just come right out and say it... I," Riley paused and wiped the tears off her face and then continued "I have cancer."

I jumped out of my seat and braced her with my arms so tightly that I almost squeezed the life out of her. I felt a tear trickle down my face as I whispered in her ear,"Every thing is going to be all right. How can I help?"

"That's the problem, I don't know how you can help. I don't know if every thing is gonna be all right." Riley yelled, tears still cascaded down her rose coloured cheeks. " The doctor still has to do more tests just to check but, he said he is 70% sure that I do." She managed to get out.

"Well let's think positive here. There's still a 30% chance that you don't" told Riley. She nodded in agreement.