Chapter 1

I heard the sound of the engine turned off. He was back. Back from his merry life in the club. Our garage floor clicked as another person walked towards the front door. The same old clicks on the floor when there's someone in heels. Was it her again?

"Kylie! *hik* Where are you?" I heard the front door creaked open.

Telling him that I'm in my room will make him mad, even if it's the truth. Why mad? Because I stay in my room all day and he thinks that I do "irrelevant" things. Locking myself in my room was hell, but I'd rather stay here rather deal with the demons outside of it.

Telling him I'm in the living room will only result to the long lectures of wasting time watching tv.

I don't know what to respond.

A loud thump came from the door. "KYLIE! Get out of your fucking room now!"

I jumped of my bed hastily locking the door. I know he's coming after me, I know he'll hit me again with his belt, and I know I have no escape but to stay locked up in here.

As I hid under the blankets, tears rolled down my eyes because this was a never ending cycle. Every night will result to this.

"Open the damn door right now! You little shit!" He pounded his fists on the wood.

Close your eyes, and all will be gone. I said to myself, just like what mom will always say. Sobs were silenced as I squeeze the blankets tight.

"Robert! Enough. We're just here to pick up the money, right? Let's go and leave that bitch." A female voice spoke.

My breaths were shorter, tears flowed harder, and my heart beated faster. When will this misery end?

As soon as I heard the engine roared and left, I sat up on my bed. My eyes scanned the room for... something. Something that I can see motivation to get out and leave. Eight years of living like this, with a small body covered in scars and a drunkard as a dad, I'm tired of it.

If I can make the room my escape, why can't outside of it too? But not here. Not where hell stands or the demons live, someplace else and I will find it.

My eyes drifted to the two dusty leather bags on top of my closet.

"Yup, I'm leaving as soon as now."

----

I was on the bus already at 10:30 pm and I'm heading to nowhere. Wherever the bus will take me. Careless about what I'm wearing. I got my student loan with me (Don't ask), clothes, phone and everything.

An empty bottle rolled across the floor of the bus. I wondered if he came home. I imagined him screaming my name because he found out I was gone. Chills pinched my skin. I closed my eyes shut.

No, no, no, stop it Kylie!

The driver dropped me off at a park that I have never been to. Clueless, I stood on its walkway and dropped my bags.

There was a big sycamore tree standing right in the middle of the park. It was...majestic, somehow enchanting. It was really huge and if you compare my height, I am only a foot of it. The stars tonight provided light to make the sycamore tree shine and I was allured by its beauty that resembles my mother's.  The gates were opened so I guess I could take a peak.

Silence invades the dark night, but being outside warmed my heart. Finally out where my dad can't reach me. I approached very slowly the sycamore tree as if every move was a suspense. It was my moment, I guess? My moment to sight a beauty such like my mother and to embrace the freedom I momentarily feel.