Seven

Rebel gingerly padded into the training hollow, eyes bright with wonder. It had been about a week since she arrived, and Laura had informed her that she was well enough to begin training. Monstercat had paired her with Rezonate, for the sole reason that they were kin.
Rebel was part Phoenix, yet currently unable to shift to her full form without "burning out", or dying, to put it bluntly. She still possessed the fire abilities and the ability to make her wings materialize, with a bit of effort, on command. But back at MIHQ, it was frowned upon to be such a species, despite it making them more powerful, so she never got to use or practice with her powers. Only in private, and those moments didn't come often.
Rezonate was a very experienced Phoenix with years upon years of practice under his belt. Able to shift full form and stay that way for up to a day, he was one of the most powerful members in their family. Maybe he could act as her big brother...
Shaking herself out of her thoughts, she spotted Tristam, his hands literally ablaze with purple flame, standing off with Rogue, who wielded his sword with experience and expertise.
Tristam smiled lightly and waved a bit before rushing Rogue, the two of them grappling fiercely.
Rebel glanced around, searching for Rezonate. She knew he was here, she just didn't know where. And since the hollow was buzzing with activity, she doubted that she'd find him just by glancing around.
"Hey, Rebel!" A voice called. She glanced at the figure jogging toward her.
Sweat soaked his curly, brown hair, making it cling to his forehead. His wings, orange in color, spread out behind him, making him look as if he'd just stepped out of a Sci-fi film. And his eyes.. Rebel found herself getting lost in them. He had the most piercing blue eyes she'd ever seen.
"Hey, Rezonate." She smiled slightly.
"How you like the hollow so far?" He questions, using a hand to brush the hair out of his face and wipe the sweat off his forehead. "Sorry, Razihel wanted to take a break from sparring Aero Chord and turn on me." He finished with a chuckle.
"That's alright." Rebel chuckled a bit as well. "It's pretty cool here.." Remembering that Rezonate was one of her kind, she continued, "alight with positive energy.. I'm guessing you're the only other Phoenix here?"
"Correct," he nodded. "Though there are some who come close," he gestured to Tristam. "He uses the same kind of magic as we do, though he isn't related to us at all."
Rebel nodded.
"Let's see... for your first assignment, point out someone who could be considered close to our kin." Rezonate said, crossing his arms over his chest.
Rebel surveyed the hollow. She saw many people wielding swords and daggers, or just fighting melee. One man was even using strings attached to himself to lash out and drag people down. She was just about to give up when a flash of blackness caught her eye.
A man with a fedora, hipster glasses, a tank top, skinny jeans and sickly pale skin conjured up a raging ball of fiery black mass and held it over his head briefly before slamming it down, right next to his opponent's head.
"Him." She murmured, making a gesture toward the man.
"Correct." Rezonate smiled a bit. "That is Varien, King of The Ravens. Very powerful. Despite using a descendant of Black Magic, he is completely pure of heart, very kind and warm."
Rebel smiled slightly. "He seems alright. I'm guessing he's the closest to our kin? Since he's the king of ravens...?"
"Correct again." Rezonate smiles. "You catch on quickly."
"Thank you." Rebel smiled.
"Alright. Let's get down to business."

-

Rebel sat down under a tree in the hollow, panting. Rezonate followed suit.
"You did well for your first day. Did you have any training where you came from?" Rezonate asked.
"Thank you. Yeah, I did undergo some programs back-.." She stopped abruptly, letting herself trail off. Rez didn't know, and she didn't intend for him to. What if he viewed her differently? Hated her? Hurt her?
"Back where I came from." She finished, heart racing. She was sure Rez could sense it, but prayed he'd leave it be.
A flicker of concern crossed his features, but he only nodded.
"I can tell. But you've still got a long way to go. We'll start in-flight training once your wings heal." He smiled, and Rebel did too. She loved flying.
"Great!"
"Oh, speaking of which, could I see your wings for a moment?"
She hesitated, then commanded her wings to materialize. As they did so, she spread the one closest to Rezonate, wincing.
Rez hummed softly, gently parting the light gold feathers and stopping at a wound toward the middle. She heard a troubled murmur.
"This one right here may take awhile... keep a close eye on that, will you?"
Rebel nodded. "Sure thing."
"Other than that, they look alright. If all goes smoothly, you should be up and flying in a week or two!"
"That's great! I'm excited." She flashed a smile, folding her wings in and commanding them to disappear. She leaned back against the tree, feeling a sense of stability, security, and happiness. She finally knew her brother, and actually liked him.
"Alright. It's getting late. I'm heading to my tent. You think you're fit enough for the dusk patrol tomorrow?" Rez said, standing up and stretching.
"Yeah, sounds good. I'm right behind you." She said, standing and trailing after him.
He turned around and pointed at her, walking backwards. "Be there or be square, girl." He then broke into a run towards camp.
Rebel laughed and shook her head.
"I can't believe I'm related to that."