Chapter Three

Serena

It's been three days since Sara and Ethan moved in, they both aren't so bad. In fact, we became closer. Especially Leo and Ethan, who've been spending time together either playing sports or watching sports, like real brothers. Ethan and I became closer than usual. I found out stuff about him, and him, me. I found out that Sara's not really his mom. She's his aunt. Turns out Ethan is a quarterback in his old school in Oregon. Like my brother. We never really talked much after that, all I know is that he's a quarterback and he's adopted.

"Hey." Ethan says as he plops down beside me on the couch, breaking me off with my thoughts.

"Hey." I reply as I scoot a little bit so there's room for him.

"What'cha watching?" He asks, staring at my eyes. It's still hard for me to talk to him normally since day one. With his eyes and face and all, you're lucky you even get to talk to him.

"Beavis and Butthead." I say. "Wanna join?" I ask him and also if he wants some of my popcorn. He says yes, popping some in his mouth.

He laughs, "Sure." Then he scoots a little closer and watches with me. He smells like mint and cinnamon, a torture for my brain but a comfort for my nostril. I can't believe I'm smelling my soon-to-be-step-brother. And I can't believe I like it.

Before I could even think, I rest my head on his shoulder and slowly close my eyes. I was about to fall asleep when him resting his head on mine wakes me up. I wanted to ask Whatcha doin? before I realized I was the first one to make this move. So I just ignored it and enjoyed it and continued watching Beavis make a fool of himself.

"What do you do?" He asks.

"Huh?"

"With your spare time. Do you have any hobbies?" He asks.

I had to think for a moment what to say, then I said, "Photography. I like photography."

"Really?"

"Yeah."

I could feel him smile. "I can't see you as a photographer, no offense. You look like someone they'd be takong pictures of, though."

I chuckle, "None taken. But I am. It's quite good actually, the pictures. What about you?"

"I paint." He replies.

"I can't quite see you as a painter, no offense." I say as I get off his shoulder to look at him.

"None taken. It's good actually. The paintings. Wanna see?" He asks.

"Yeah!" I reply with a slight excitement that caused him to laugh.

"Come on." He says as he stands up, offering me his hand. I gladly accepted. We walked up the stairs still hand in hand. It's a good feeling. Like a protection in a sweet and warm way. He led me to the guest room, his new room which is across from mine. And as he opened the door, the smell of paint engulfs me. I look around and see all these beautiful canvas paintings lying everywhere. From city lights, to beaches, to rain, to winter. It's amazing. But there is one painting that caught my attention. It's of a young boy sitting at a rock in between two people, a man and a woman, his parents I assume. They were all watching the beautiful sunset, their backs is the only thing you could see besides the sunset itself. As I examine the canvas, it's as if I'm with them. Like I'm the one taking the picture, only this one turned out to be a painting. But there was something about it too that made me slightly feel uncomfortable. No, it made me uneasy. The parents didn't have a shadow, only the boy. This made me think that he might haven't finished this yet, but there's a part of me thinking that it's already done.

I turn to look at him, and was about to ask about the painting when he answered my  unasked question, as if reading my mind. "Those are the spirits of the boys parents sitting next to him."

I held up my finger and slowly traces the sun and the boy's silhouette and his parents and the rock and the little waves in the distance. I am still amazed by this, the way he brought it to life and the way he painted all those little details that made it look realistic than ever. Until what he said dones on me. "You're the boy." I whisper.

"Yes." He whispers back, pain clear in his voice.

I turn to look at him only to be greeted with grief stricken face. I reached out for his hand and held onto it. "I'm sorry." I say.

He smiles a little and says, "It's alright. It was a long time ago."

"You wanna talk about it?" I ask.

"Nah. Let's go, let's just watch Beavis and Butthead." He replies with a small chuckle.

"Alright." I say as I smile. I turn around just as he pulls me back again, crashing onto his chest. I feel his arms snake around my waist. I was too shocked to move, so I just stared at his blue eyes as he stared into my grey and blue one. He brushes a strand of hair off my face and whispers, "You're beautiful, you know that?"

I give him a small smile, taking his hand as I lead us out of the room. "Cheeky." I replied which caused him to chuckle. I couldn't take the smile off my face.

*

Ethan

I've been trying to catch Serena's attention for the past few days. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I do stuff that would make girls turn their attention to me. But not her. She's different. There's something about her that just makes you wonder what she's thinking or feeling, and it drives you crazy not knowing those things. She drives me crazy.

"You're leaving again?" Exclaimed Serena to Leo.

"Sis, I have to. It's the biggest football game of the year. College professors will be there." He explained.

"You've only been here for like a week and a half!"

"I know, but it's gonna be fine. Ethan's gonna keep you company." He winked.

Serena glanced at me before stifling a laugh, "Ethan and I rarely talk."

"Exactly. Now's your chance to get to know each other."

Serena groaned. "Fine."

"Yeah c'mon, it's gonna be fun." I said, giving her a slight smile. She rolled her eyes but not before she smiled back at me.