The Hutu Power

Rwandese Flowers

Chapter IV

The Hutu Power

Once, Dr. Mike invited me to a festive dinner in a distinct Kigali club to which the Rwandese elite would appear. It was a unifying ceremony for militants of the NRMD (National Revolutionary Movement for Development), the political party of President Juvenal Habyarimana. The event marked the launch of the government's policy platform for 1994. When we arrived, some beautiful Hutu girls who were dressed to the nines formally welcomed and accompanied us to a huge central table of guests. Ministers, upper-level civil servants, journalists, militaries and ambassadors of allied nations occupied almost every seat.

The arrogant general Gedeon Bagirubwira and his family were beside us. His children's behavior annoyed him, as they were kidding around, moving in and out of the hall, what unnerved him, and therefore, he blamed his wife.

"I told you, woman, not to bring the kids to this event. Go there and calm them because the president is coming to this place."

The general's wife, a distinct, stout woman, stood up with great difficulty and went to gather her children to talk them down. Even so, they did not assume proper manners. She did this task twice more, chasing them across the great space to the dismay of General Bagirubwira, who, seeing no other solution to his boys, resolved to arrest them. He sent someone to call Lieutenant Fred Kaka.

"Lieutenant, keep the kids out of this hall and look after them until the dinner ends."

"What about the event security, General? I am responsible for it."

"So, add my children to your security report that I want on my desk early tomorrow. Why the sad face? Cheer up, Lieutenant, because everything will be okay. Now, get back to work."

The luckless Lieutenant Fred Kaka spent much of the night babysitting the army brats. He seemed to wish to be away in a combat action against the rebels of the RPF rather than with the tireless juvenile delinquents. Moments later, President Juvenal Habyarimana showed up with an entourage of bodyguards around him, leading everyone to stop what they were doing. Some politicians spoke on a stage extravagantly decorated with garlands and arrangements of African violets, heliconias, anthuriums, gingers and strelitzias of Tharcisse of Mugabe. The president made a quite edifying speech in a conciliatory tone with the Tutsis. In contrast, General Gedeon was harsh in his criticism of the opposing ethnicity. I commented to Dr. Mike.

"The president touched on the subject of peace and his words filled me with new hope that this conflict will end in a short while."

"Do not get your hopes up, Dr. Isabelle, because these promises easily result in fantasy."

"What do you mean?"

"As this country cannot guarantee to the international community a quick victory over the rebels, the president signals the commitment of both sides to a peace agreement. This way, he slows down a little the nervousness in the Rwandan economy, and investors devote some of their money to this country."

"I understand, Dr. Mike, but it is a pity. You remind me of my father's talking. Hahaha."

The president came to sit at our table and chose a seat on the other side, distant from us. I was waiting for a chance to talk to him and found aid to the Twas, as they needed social policies, including material help and legal support to equate them with other citizens. They necessitated identification documents and health cards, which offered them access to the public network. I would also ask him to end illiteracy, creating schools for the Twas, making some of them able to lift themselves out of poverty. He had to allow them access to the forest parks in order that they exerted hunting and extracting, their traditional livelihood. Lamentably, Dr. Mike did not let me approach the president, touching an inappropriate subject for the occasion, and he argued, questioning the obstinacy of my observations.