Chapter 2 - Lock On

In the morning, after a peaceful night free of hellish headaches, I woke up to the hammering sound of high heels against the floor. It was a nurse. When she saw me, she gave me a warm smile. "Good morning Kayano-san, you got visits", she said; signaled to the two girls in the back and exited the room.

 Kanzaki and Okuda were sitting on a leather bench. They held a basket of some sort. As soon as our eyes met, they got up and called my name in unison; headed over to me and handed me the basket - it was full of sweets and what else.

 "Wow... Thanks. You didn't need to", I said with wide eyes. I didn't deserve any of that.

 "It's from the whole class", Kanzaki said. "We hope to see you there soon".

 I nodded with a smile. "I'll be there in three days".

 Someone else entered the room. "Yeah, rest in peace", he said. We all looked at the door in confusion. It was Sugino. And beside him, was my target - No, not Korosensei.

 "Uh... Sugino, way to choose your words", said a nervous Nagisa with a hand on his friend's shoulder "Rest well would have been much better".

 "Oh... god". Sugino almost panicked.  "I'm so sorry, Kayano-san!" He covered his face.

 My confused look changed to a goofy one. I chuckled. "It's fine, it's fine!" I said. Then shifted my eyes to my target. 

 Nagisa was my only focus now. I made my choice the night before and I was not going back - I would challenge that assassin to a fight. Now, I just had to think of a way to let him know that: With a letter, a phone message, face to face... anything to give him time to prepare himself.

 I then shuddered at how bad of an idea that was - if I gave him time to think of a strategy, it would be certain defeat. If in less than a minute he could come up with all those finishing moves, what the heck would he do if he had days in advance?! 

 It was time for me to step up and stop seeing myself as equal to Nagisa. I wasn't. I had to admit I was weaker and not underestimate him. I was the one in need of a pre-thought strategy. A sudden attack to take him down; to block his mind; his body - just like that kiss.

  Nagisa came closer. "So, Kayano, how do you feel?", he asked.

 "Great", I replied. My cheeks held more blood than normal.

 "I'm sorry for that night..." He said. "That was the only method I could think of in the heat of the moment".

 The whole scene came rushing through my mind once again. I felt numb at the sight of his lips. 

 "Are you mad," he asked.

 "What? No, I'm not! I should be thanking you, instead." I thought my acting skills would've saved me here, but that line was awful...

 He seemed relieved with my answer, though. That was good - The sooner I got out of his mind, the better. If he felt I was angry, he would sure stay on alert. And I wouldn't have a chance to attack.

 Of course, I wasn't mad at him. Why would I? If I were to be mad at someone it would be Bitch-sensei. She was the one who forced filth into Nagisa's mind. But even for that, I was thankful. Not mad. If that assassin hadn't been around when I rampaged, I'd be dead. If Bitch-sensei had never become our teacher, I'd also be dead. I had no right to complain.

  I watched as Nagisa lifted out a hand full of candy from the basket. He looked at me and then back to the basket with a priceless face. I let out a silent giggle and turned my head away. "Oh no. Did he just label me as fat," I thought. He put them back. Then said: "Well, I guess we went a bit over the top with the sweets. Maybe." He laughed.

 My face became pale when I realized what I was doing. Nagisa was right next to me. And I? I was pulling the covers to hide my face. What kind of actress would do that?! 

 They left the room. According to Kanzaki, I needed to rest. "Thanks for noticing," I thought. But then I heard her giggle from outside. What was she laughing about? Was I that obvious? "God... I guess acting doesn't work in this class anymore."

 From under the blankets, I could see the basket. I wondered what exactly was in it, so I brought it closer to inspect - it was mostly candy. There was also a tiny chocolate bar, a peach, and orange juice.

 That class was insane... And I loved it.

 Except for the candy - it had way too much, I wouldn't waste anything. I devoured that peach on the spot. I picked the fruit first, obviously. I didn't want to think: "I devoured the chocolate bar on the spot." Being called forever 0 was enough. No more labels.

 Between juicy bites, I remembered something. So I shoved my free hand in the basket and explored every corner with my fingers. I had a clear reason to do that... And that reason was Karma and Nakamura. Those two would've probably used this opportunity to mock me. Mock me and Nagisa. Yesterday, they used the pudding. And today...

 I knew it. There it was - stuck on the bottom, hidden under the food. It resembled yesterday's paper. And maybe it was the same paper with the same text. I mean, was it really that big of a deal for them to make a new one? Yeah, it probably was...

 With the tip of my fingers, I picked it up. Took a deep breath and got ready for the cringe. I was going to read it out loud since I was alone. But my voice pulled the brakes when I saw it. I shivered.

 It said: "Kayano, you tasted so sweet..."

 I sat there and stared at it. I had a blank expression, but I bet I looked like a tomato. I analysed the room I was in - There had to be a camera somewhere. Or Karma's devilish face outside the window. I didn't see anything. But I felt the urge to dig two graves and throw Karma and Nakamura in them.

 I slipped under the covers again. The pillow pressured my crimson cheeks. "That text was miles worse," I thought. I wanted to scream the embarrassment out of me. "I really, really hope they are not showing those to Nagisa!" I could already predict how awkward it would be when I returned to class and sat beside him.

 I laid there with my arms wrapped around the sheets. My mind spun and I couldn't organize my thoughts. It stayed like that for a while. But then, out of the blue, an idea struck me - I could use that awkwardness to my advantage. It sounded silly at first. But actually, it could be my core strategy to beat him. If things were awkward between us, his blood lust would probably be weaker towards me. 

 I was fully aware of how Nagisa could control his fear in a threatening situation. Like when he faced that maniac Takaoka. Twice. And he won twice. But hadn't that smile on his face showed up, his menacing blood lust would have stayed asleep. But that was fear and fear only. What about awkwardness? Could Nagisa shrug it off too like a bug on his shoulder?

 Images of a blushing Nagisa wearing a girly dress flashed in my head. I chuckled. No way he could shrug that off.

 "So that strategy might actually work," I thought. I would give it a go. First of all, I guess I had to make an effort to accept Karma and Nakamura's teasing. I gulped. That paper's text spammed my thoughts again. Now I imagined Nagisa saying those words to me. It was tortuous. "Come on Kayano, you can handle those two," I told myself.  

 A sense of guilt flowed in me. And it had been there for a while already. I thought twice about my goals - about trying to defeat Nagisa. After all, he had just saved my life. I owed him. And what I was about to do wouldn't benefit him in any way. It was even selfish. What he if grew to hate me? 

 That was the last thing I wanted... I feared that. However, if I really knew Nagisa; If I was correct about the person he was, I'm sure he wouldn't mind. After all, I admired him. And what do those who admire seek for?

 That's right.

 I hoped he would grow to love me. Love my blood lust.