Chapter 3 - The Final Note

On my third and last day at the hospital, when I was about to fall asleep, there it was again. Another one of those evil notes. Karma and Nakamura had visited me today so I should have seen it coming.

 "That picture is now my phone's background image. I just can't get over it," It said in bold. And if that wasn't enough, it had more text on the back. This one had me almost yelling at the top of my lungs: "Sorry, but I will post it online for everyone to see."

I squeezed the paper until my nails carved on the skin. "Online?" I muttered as I held my breath. "Are they trying to kill me?" 

I had a cellphone with me. I tapped on the browser icon as if tentacles had possessed my fingers. No matter how much I tapped, however, I was always greeted with the same "no connection" screen. It mocked me with a sad face. "We're sorry for the inconvenience," it added.

"Oh, you have no idea," I said out loud. My body collapsed on the bed as my lungs let out more air than a human should hold.

 That was bad. People would see us making out in the middle of a fire. There's no quick getaway explanation for that. I could just lie and call it a hoax, but that would still raise questions about us. About our relationship. As a result, I'd be too exposed to carry out my attack on Nagisa.

 The attack that no one but my target could witness.

 I slid out of bed and tiptoed my way out of my room. It was almost midnight and the echoing silence devoured the halls. I had no idea how I'd prevent the disaster, but I needed to find a connection. I wouldn't sleep over the matter.

 Before I could take another step, my cellphone rang. It was Nakamura. I shivered, but that was perfect timing. I could just talk to the root of the problem.

 I picked up. "Hello?"

 "Hey, Kayano! It's me, girl," Nakamura said.

I muttered looking at the ground. "Please don't post the fire thingy online, please."

She stood silent for a second. "The what?"

I blushed and inhaled all I could before blurting out a string of nonsense. "The fire and the tentacles! Korosensei, and... Nagisa! The thing with Nagisa and my tentacles."

 Nakamura burst out laughing. "Wow, that's weird out of context," she said as laughter shot out of the speakers in a distorted mess. "I got ya. That's why I called you. Your boyfriend stopped Karma from leaking it. Don't worry."

 "Ok, that's a relief," I said immediately.

 "Oh, so you admit it?"

 I realized I let her get away with the teasing. "Nakamura, I'm tired. I'm going to bed." I got back into my room. "See you tomorrow."

 The girl giggled. "Sorry, we'll leave you two alone," she said putting on a more relaxed tone. "It was just today, no more teasing."

 The call ended.

 I went back to bed. The problem seemed to be gone, but an evasive feeling had made its way into me. My state of alert had worsened. As I stared into the darkened ceiling, Nakamura's final words echoed in my head.

 I got up, took today's embarrassing note with me and walked up to the trash bin. I pulled out the first two notes I received and raised them above my head.

 "It was just today," I repeated.

 The first two had different handwriting.

///Author's note///

Three years!! Kayano stayed trapped in this hospital for three years!! Sorry, everyone... I had initially given up on this fic. I wrote chapter 3 back in 2016 but didn't like the way it was heading, so I stopped. I decided to erase chapter 3 and rewrite it (it shrunk as well, my bad xD). I'm giving this fic another shot. Once again, sorry, and thank you all for reading!