The Warm Up

It's early February, giving the night air an extra bite that creeps into my fingers making them cold and stiff. In attempts to break the winter's grip on my hands, I warm up with some Hanon exercises that I have committed to memory. As I soldier through the simple melodies, I feel my body begin to warm and my fingers begin to loosen. After four different and tedious pieces, I finally feel like I'll be able to do justice to the incredible trilogy I have in mind for tonight.

The more I think about it, the more I think that tonight is different. Walking to the auditorium, I knew that something needed to happen, something needed to change before I truly went insane but I couldn't figure out what. I didn't understand the feeling at first, but as I look at the piano, it becomes completely clear. As I stare at the beautiful instrument, I come to realize that tonight must be the last time I play the black and white keys.

With a sigh of peace and acceptance, I straighten and prepare the sheet music for the first piece of my grand finale: Fur Elise. Fur Elise has always been one of my favorite songs as it holds and guards so many of my childhood memories. As I start to press the keys, bright and vibrant images start flashing in my mind. I see happy days and peaceful nights, I hear vociferous laughter and soothing lullabies. It is a sunny summer day. I am only six or seven years old as I run up and down my neighborhood street with a rambunctious puppy chasing close behind me. Then it is suddenly a cold winter's night in front of the fireplace with my entire family. Bright colors and cheesy music fill my home as everyone talks and eats. Memory after memory, some that I can't quite place but know none the less, flash as I continue with the piece. I finally begin to feel a small bit of happiness as the incredible snapshots of my life dance through my mind.

As I repeat the equally famous and infamous introduction of the song, the memory of when I first started piano and first decided to conquer this song came to the front of my mind. I was around seven years old and had just started piano. I had always been fascinated with the instrument after watching and listening to the incredible music that my mother could make. The sheet music looked like a mass of disorganized scribbles and the fact that she could read and understand the mess and then play such beautiful melodies seemed like magic! As soon as I was old enough to reach the peddles from the piano bench, I was determined to learn how to harness this magic myself.

When I found the sheet music for Fur Elise, I quickly fell in love with the simple and upbeat beginning melody. I would play the introduction over and over, never really showing interest in learning the rest of the piece. That was, however, until I was scolded at a music store for playing the short intro on a display keyboard. I quickly learned that this song's first few measures were the most common and annoying notes played inside most music stores, especially since no one could play the rest of the song. I knew, then, that this piece was exactly the challenge I was looking for as the idea of walking into a store and playing Beethoven's whole Elise ran through my head.

Within a year, I had mastered most of the song. I had also begun to learn various other pieces both classical and modern. It was amazing to see the look on people's faces when I played and it was then I realized my true love for music and for the piano. Every night I would practice for hours until I was practically forced to go to bed. There was something about the notes that drifted off of the keys that sent me on a faraway journey to worlds I had never known. It was an incredible feeling and I wanted to hold onto it was ever ounce of strength that I had.

My mind returns to the present as I transition into the second part of the song but is quickly thrown back into the past as incredible memories from start swirling around in my head. Running with friends and chasing butterflies, flying kites and throwing frisbees. Bright colors, warm smiles, loud laughter, everything seemed perfect back then. But just as quickly as they entered my mind, those bright and happy memories leave again as my mind return to my early years at the piano.

As the bass increases as the piece progresses, I begin to see red. Anger travel through my fingers as I remember all the times I was so frustrated at the piano. All the times I wasn't able to figure out a piece and wanted to smash the keys. I start to feel all the disappointment and fury well up at as the memory of my temper tantrums become fresh in my mind. Then I return to the intro once more and remember the joy I felt when I finally conquered those pieces that held my sanity prisoner.

I finally come to the end of the song, the memories from my early childhood slowly begin to fade and I am left in my present reality. When I finally finish the well-known and beloved song, my heart is pounding and sweat is beading down my face. I take a deep breath and turn to my next piece.