Chapter Six

Catherine tiptoed up to Edward's study door, afraid making too much noise would disturb him. Under the guidance of Isobel, she had decided to visit the poorer residence of Thornwood and give charity. She had never been in a position to do so before, but she hoped it would help win the affection of the village. Since she had seen so little of Edward lately, she thought he could join her. When they were together he made every effort to get her to smile or speak with her about things that interested her. Often she fumbled over her words or fell silent, not sure what to say. She felt inferior to him. Isobel suggested that she make more attempts to spend time with him. Affection could not grow between them if they never spent time together. But Edward was a busy man and she did not want to waste his precious time. She turned around without knocking. It would be better if she did not bother him.

"Catherine?" Edward said as he found her standing the hall, basket in hand.

"I am going out to visit, would you like to come?" her words came out in a tumbled rush.

He dropped his hands to his side. "Darling, what are you talking about?"

She took a deep breath to calm her nerves. This was her husband; there was no reason to be afraid of him. "I am going to visit the neighbors. I've got a few goods to give them." She showed him the basket.

"Beautiful and charitable. How did I get so lucky to have a wife like you?" He smiled at her.

She blushed and lowered her lashes, uncertain how to reply to his praises.

"Who are you visiting?" he asked.

"The Smiths. Their daughter recently died of pneumonia."

He scratched his chin. "Smith...?"

"Perhaps I got the name wrong. She fumbled with the basket and tried to reach for directions Mrs. Morgan had written. As she did so, the basket tipped to one side and would have spilled its contents, but Edward grabbed a hold of one end and saved it from overturning.

"Now, I remember. Miss Smith was to be your lady's maid but she fell ill before we arrived. What a shame." He shook his head.

From the corner of her eye, Catherine noticed Mrs. Morgan approaching them. She had emerged from the servants' stairwell as they were talking. Her mouth was pinched shut and the lines around it were white. She grasped her ring of keys at her belt. She had not mentioned that detail when Catherine had inquired.

"Would you join me?" She asked again, hoping she was not being too bold.

"I would be delighted." He took the basket from her arm and offered her his bended arm for her to take but before they could get far, Mrs. Morgan stood in their path.

"My Lord, Mr. Clark is set to arrive this afternoon."

"Was that today? I swore I scheduled it for Thursday," he said as he scratched his head.

"It is Thursday, your lordship," Mrs. Morgan replied.

He sighed and turned back to Catherine. "I apologize, darling, it seems I will not be able to join you."

As he handed her back the basket laden with goods, she did her best to not let her disappointment show. She was desperate for a chance to speak with him, alone, without servants hovering in the halls. But it seemed this was the fate of a Lord's wife, forever parted from one another by their own duties.

"Next time, perhaps." She forced a smile, which she knew looked more like a grimace.

"I'll have the carriage pulled around for you, my lady," said Mrs. Morgan.