Forgiveness? and the Word DAD

When I was younger I would remember going to Braunig Lake with my mom and Richard. We would always go to Braunig it was the place where we made many memories, both good and bad. Where Richard would pick on me about Jeepers Creepers. The place where we were ourselves. The one place where we didn't have to worry about the outside world. The place that we felt like it was just us and no one else. The place we were a family. It was our place...

When I was younger I remember watching my mom break down in tears because of Richard... I remember the pain and anger I felt watching my mom fall and try to pick herself up but failing. I remember wanting to be the one to help her and mend her broken heart but not being the one she needed. I remember the feeling of not being wanted a second time... 

A couple years later Richard and my mom got back together. Then on July 7, 2012, they got married. When they got married I didn't accept it. I didn't want my mom to marry someone that caused her so much pain, I was also scared that he wouldn't stay in our lives, he would just leave us again. It wasn't until a year later that I believed that he won't leave us and won't hurt my mom again. It took a lot of time and strength to forgive him, but in truth, I'm not sure if he needed forgiveness. He had hurt us but that didn't mean that I should've held the grudge against him. Everyone makes mistakes, no human being is perfect. 

Through the now 4 years of my parents being married, I had now realized how much my time, energy, and love he had put into our family to keep us all together. Even though we aren't perfect and may seem broken, we will be broken together. I'm proud to be able to call him my DAD.