Chapter 18-20

Chapter 18

Though I close the computer and go to bed, I don't sleep. I spend the night tossing and turning, my mind racing a thousand miles an hour. Un-rested but somehow still alert, I dress and head to school the next morning, a double espresso in a white paper cup in hand as I pick up my group.

"Long night?" Derek asks. "Or did you lose a fight with your eyeliner?"

I smirk humorlessly. "Decided to go for heroin sheik today."

He grins, "It works for you."

I salute him with my espresso and take a sip, maneuvering one handed into a parking spot.

By second period I'm crashing, doodling absently in my notebook when a shrill, earsplitting alarm rings through the air.

"Okay, class. Don't panic. Gather your things and head to the gym. No pushing!" My teacher, Mr. White, ushers us from the room.

I scooped up my books and tossed them into my bag. In the hall, Reid grabs me by the arm, offering me a look that's part concern, part determination.

We veer left, down the hall, ducking into an alcove as a group of students pass. Checking to make sure the hall is clear, we head away from the gym and toward the parking lot.

"Where are we going?" I ask, as we slip outside through the west doors unnoticed.

"To your car. We need to get out of here," he whispers urgently. "I want to make sure our parents are all right, and you drove today."

"Farris!" I spin around when I hear my name from across the parking lot.

"Oliver, what are you doing?" I ask as he jogs up to me.

He hasn't paid any attention to me for days, opting instead to give me a well deserved cold shoulder, what could he possibly want now?

Reid steps between us. "We don't have time for this right now Oliver," he challenges, spitting out the name like it's a bad word.

"I need to talk to Farris," he answers, pushing Reid to the side. "It's none of your business."

Before I realize what's going on, Reid grabs Oliver's arm and twists it around, pinning it to his back.

"Don't push me," Reid threatens, his face a twisting mask of hatred. I'd never seen that look on Reid's face before and I'm not quite sure how to react.

He dropped Oliver's arm and pushes him forward. Oliver turns, his arm drawing back as if he's about to throw a punch when I step between them.

"That's enough!" I shout, pulling Oliver away.

"Reid, wait for me in the car. I'll just be a minute."

He huffs but does as he's told. I tug Oliver's arm until we stand a few feet away.

"What is it?" I ask, trying not to let my annoyance creep into my voice.

"Don't go," he begs, his eyes pleading.

In some dizzy daydream, this would be the part where he forgives me and I throw myself into his arms, letting him kiss me until everything is alright again. But his next words shatter the illusion.

"At least, not with him."

That's it. A deep seeded rage boils inside me. I didn't know, now, if he ever really liked me or if it was just some stupid contest between them, but I'm done with it.

I point into the air, "Those sirens, that's the sound of my dad, of his parents, possibly being hurt, or worse. And you're going to step up to me, after throwing shade at me for days, and give me some macho crap about not leaving with my friend?" I pause to lick my lips, a well deserved look of regret washing across his face. "This is me, being completely done with you."