Another Sith?!

During my talk with Padme, I told her I had found a way to save her. Even after her starting to sound like a Separatist. She said she didn't need my protection, but I insisted she did.

But now I've returned to the Jedi Temple. Looks like I'm just in time, because I arrived in one of the five spires right before Obi-Wan's clone commander, Commander Cody, becknoed a message.

I sat with Mace Windu, across from holograms of Yoda and fellow Jedi Ki-Adi-Mundi and Aayla Secura. Cody said they found General Grievous, and had begun their attack. That was short, but then again, my talks with Padme usually seem to speed time a little.

Mace told me to take Cody's message to the Chancellor, and watch carefully for his reaction. I nodded and left, but heard muffled words spoken in worried tones on my way out.

***

On Mace's orders, I took the message to the Chancellor. He recieved the news with the same elated look as the Council members. To my surprise, he said he could only hope Obi-Wan was up to the challenge. Does he know?

I said I should be there with him. Palpatine went on that the Council's distrust bothered him, and asked me if I knew why I was being kept from my dream rank. Shaking my head, I told him I wish I did. He said they didn't trust me, and that they knew my power would become too strong to control.

We got up and started walking, where the Chancellor said I had to break through the fog of lies made by the Jedi. He told me to let him teach me the true ways of the Force.

I felt a cold chill. Palpatine was no Jedi. I asked him how he knew the ways of the Force.

He said his master taught him everything about it, even the nature of the dark side.

"You know the dark side?" I stopped short and stepped in front of the Chancellor. He said if I wanted to succeed, I would need to learn a larger view of the Force. Then the words hit me. "You're the Sith Lord!" I said, and ignited my lightsaber.

Palpatine watched my pointed blade calmly. He told me not to let myself be the Council's tool. I told him no, knowing he simply wanted me to be his tool instead. "I know what's been troubling you," he continued. As he spoke, he began to pace. My glowing lightsaber followed his path. "Listen to me. Only through me can you achieve a power greater than any Jedi. Learn the power of the dark side, and you can save your wife from certain death."

W-what are you talking about? "I won't become a Sith!" But my denial was too passionate, as if I was trying to convince myself as well as Palpatine.

Moment of silence. Palaptine made a show of studying my lightsaber and asked if I was going to kill him, as if it were a minor matter of curiosity.

"I would certainly like to," I growled.

Palpatine said he knew that, and his face hinted that he was trailing off on a subject. Then he said he could feel my anger, and that it gave me focus and strength.

I stared at him for a long moment, then deactivated my lightsaber. "I am turning you over to the Council."

He said that would be right, but reminded me I wasn't sure of their intentions. "Know the power of the dark side. The power to save Padme."

I put my lightsaber back on my belt and stepped away from the not-so-mysterious Sith Lord. As if nothing unusual had happened, Palpatine walked to his desk and sat down. Seeing the surprise in my eyes, he said he wasn't going anywhere until I had decided his fate.

I turned and ran away from the room. As I left, Palpatine said he thought I'd reconsider and help him rule the galaxy.

As I got into my new green Jedi Interceptor, I snorted. As if...