Chapter 1: Popularity Topography

Chapter 1

Greg's knee connected with my skateboard. I flinched as I heard the sickening snap of my Baker deck. I couldn't see the devastation that jerk did to my board. All I could see was Greg's white Nikes which was now accompanied by a bunch of splinters

'Get up loser!', he spat the words in my face as he smirked.

Just as I summoned enough upper body strength to get up from the grimy grey concrete floor, that jerk kicked me straight in the chest. I reeled back from the shock and pain. He threw the two halfs of my deck beside me, narrowly missing my pain-stricken face.

'I missed', he said nonchalantly.

'I ensure you that that doesn't happen again. Better not cross my path again, twerp', Greg announced, declaring the end of his session with me.

My whole abdomen burned with a stabbing pain. This deemed my earlier efforts useless.

It took a couple of moments for the pain to subside. As I regained my grip of reality,I realized the hallway was empty. I searched for my black framed spectacles and squinted to look at the clock situated across the hallway. The clock showed 10:40 a.m.

'Just great, I'm late for history by 10 minutes. Mr.Douglas is going to slaughter my ass.' I thought to myself.

I brushed the dirt and grime off my grey long sleeve V neck T-shirt and stuffed my broken deck into my green locker.

'Why do you have to be so pathetic Andrew?', I mentioned to myself.

I took out the necessary materials and headed to Mr.Douglas' class.

'Your are late Mr.Gerardo .Give me a good reason why I shouldn't give you detention after school', Mr.Douglas boomed.

I knew no matter what I said I was still going to get detention and I had enough brains to know not to blame Greg and his troupe.

'Sorry sir, this will never happen again', I replied meekly.

I could see Greg and his posse of peeps snickering at their desks. I made sure not to make eye contact with them, if I ever tried I would be digging my own grave.

I glanced around for a seat that would be as far away from the teacher and the troupe. Perfect! there was a seat at the back of the class to the extreme right.

'Detention at 3 p.m Mr.Gerardo ' he announced. With that he turned to the board and continued to write facts about the Cold War.

I leaned my battered and bruised body on the wall. After rejuvenating my energy I decided to start some mindless doodling. I started forming a high school popularity food chain because I had nothing better to do. It's not like I'm not going to flunk history.

1.Jocks & Cheerleaders

So at the top we have the Jocks, the Soccer junkies. Their popularity can't be contested. Never and I repeat never try to talk to a Jock. The only way you can talk to a Jock is if he talks to you. Whoever a Jock dates also instantly becomes popular but they usually date cheerleaders. This in turn keeps the popularity contained in this circle. However there are a few strays who date girls that are not cheerleaders. This is usually rare and unheard off.

2.Bands

Close contesters to the Jocks. The kids who really know how to rock it out. They consist of guitarists,drummers and vocalists. There are a few of them but still they are way popular.

3.Bullies

The low life scums who target smaller prey Eg.Me to gain popularity or as they like to call it, respect. They are not exactly popular, it's more of a fear factor. They use the bigger bodies puberty gave them to their advantage.

4.Drama Geeks

The beginning of the lower class of high school. They are usually overdramatic (duhh.. drama) and they think very highly of themselves. Most of them are like that except Madison of course. Mady and I have been best friends since preschool.

5.No particular name

This is the group I belong to. We don't have a particular clique per say. We just have our own different interests and keep to ourselves. I guess you can call us an anti-social bunch.

6.Nerds

The epitome of unpopularity.Every school has them. They usually spend their time reading sci-fi comics and playing computer games.

Goths

And not forgetting the Goth kids. no one ranks them. The student population usually does not want to know anything about the dark realms the Goth kids are interested in. We are scared of them and do not mingle with these kids.

The school bell rang, disrupting my train of thoughts.

'Okay Class,  I hope you all have learn one or two things about the Cold War. There is a test on it in two days time. Please do me a favour and study for it. ', With this being said history was over.

Next period is Gym. I would be able to see Mady there but more importantly I would be able to see the girl of my dreams.

*******-*******-*******-*******-*******-

That's the end of my first chapter. Hope you like it.

I'll update as soon as possible.

Please Comment and Vote

Thank you

Toodals,

Brandon_Joshua