comforter chapter two

• Dedicated to mortimer who is not really named mortimer

Cas grit his teeth. Breathing hard, he gingerly pushed up his sleeve, revealing a jagged gash up the length of his forearm. "There are more. It's been-" He breathed in, sharply. 

"Rough," Dean finished the sentence for him. He picked up a washcloth from the bathroom cabinet and ran it under the tap. "This is gonna hurt. I'm sorry." Cas extended his forearm, and Dean began to  wash the wound. Cas's eyes started welling up. "Hey, dude. You're okay. I know you've never hurt before, but it's just a little cut," Dean said. He lifted up Cas's chin. "Look at me! You're alright. Okay? You're gonna be fine." He wound the bandage around Castiel's arm. "Where are the rest?"

                                                                                            ***

Cas was blushing like hell. He'd had to take off his shirt for Dean to take care of his back, and he couldn't avoid the area - it was the worst out of all the injuries he'd amassed. Dean had let out a long, low whistle when he first saw it: two ragged, deep cuts running down Cas's shoulder blades surrounded by a blistering crimson burn all the way up to the back of his neck. "I'm, uh, not really sure what to do," Dean said after some thought. "Um, we might have that sunburn cream stuff in here; I'm not really sure..." He trailed off, rummaging through the cabinet as an excuse not to look at Cas. To avoid staring at Cas, he thought, but shook it out of his mind. "Got it," he said, shaking the dust off an old bottle of calamine lotion. "I don't know if it'll help, but there's only one way to find out..."

Dean began to clean the scabbed gashes as Castiel tried not to scream. Or cry. Make any noise. Dean wouldn't; Dean can get through anything. You don't need to be more out of place than you already are. But, when Dean started to apply the lotion, Cas couldn't help wincing. His whole body hurt. His entire back stung, and the place where his wings used to be was on fire. He fancied he could still feel his wings, flaming and falling apart.

After screwing the cap back onto the bottle of lotion, Dean surprised himself. He brushed his fingers in the space between Cas's shoulder blades, and whispered a quiet apology in his ear. Walking out the door, Dean told Cas to take his room. "Change out of the dirty trenchcoat, okay? Take my clothes." 

"Thank you."