"I think I'm gonna take my life, Alex."

"Don't talk like that," He comes over to me and hugs me. "I hate seeing you cry. Get dressed. I'm taking you to school."

***

We reach school earlier than usual, resulting run-ins into a few people. "We're an hour early." I roll my eyes. "That bruise looks really bad. What excuse are you going to make?" He asks. "I don't know. Maybe no one will ask." I shrug. Just then I hear Sarah and Angelina coming round the corner. 

"Hey you guys," Angelina cooes, "Oh my god, did your mom do that?". "Are you up to self harm?" Sarah asks, twirling her blond hair. I say nothing as Alex presses me to his side. "We totally need to tell the teacher. She can make you stop." Sarah continues, poking my bruised side. It hurt. "My mom.." I start. "Whatever your mom does, it's for your own good, honey. See you in class." She walks away. "And oh, if you're doing it for attention, no one's gonna care." Angelina cackles and walks away. 

"I-I hate t-th-them so much." I sobbed once they were out of sight. "I know. I hate them too, you have to stay strong, ok baby?" he kisses the bruise on my cheek. "You don't have to 'baby' me so much, Alex. I can take care of myself." I smile at his over protectiveness. "But you're my best friend, my sister. I can't lose you like Ellie." Ellie was his younger sister. She died in a car accident when she was three. I loved her.   

*** 

As I leave the class at the home bell, my teacher stops me. "What is your problem?" She asks. "My problem?" I say. "Yes, your problem. You know very well what I'm talking about." She gestured to my bruises. "I'm gonna contact your mom about this. You may leave." She says. "And oh, if you're doing it for attention, please stop, because no one's gonna care. People are just gonna run away from you." 

I run outside the class room, to Alex's car, waiting for him. My whole body is shaking from fear. Alex comes in. "What happened?" He says. "T-take me ho-home please." I say wrapping my hands around me to stop the trembling. He drives on without a word. 

Upon reaching my house he says, "Are you okay? You seem to be trembling." I just nod and kiss him on the cheek. "Come in at night if you want." He says and I nod.

I enter my house. "I'm home." I say. "Come here." I heard my mom's voice from the kitchen. "Your teacher phoned me. She told me that you self harm. Now answer this question. WHY THE F**K DO YOU DO IT? HAVE I EVER HIT YOU? I TREAT YOU LIKE A PRINCESS! ARE YOU MENTALLY ILL?" she says.

"Mom I-"

"DON'T YOU DARE ANSWER ME YOUNG LADY! HOW DARE YOU! *smack*! I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU DO THAT! HAVE I EVER HIT YOU? *slap* NO RIGHT? YOU TREAT ME LIKE SHIT! IF YOU DON'T RESPECT YOUR MOTHER, AT LEAST RESPECT YOUR POOR FATHER!" 

"Stop! Mom! Ow-" I start crying and run to my room. Frantically searching for a sharpener. I run to my bed, locking my door but accidentally leaving the french door open.

1 cut

2 cuts

3 cuts

I cry, loudly. I can't control it anymore. I see Alex coming in suddenly, before I black out.