HEATHens

Scrounging in the camp ground had led to little so far, but little didn't fill empty stomachs. Although, it was fortunate that only one of them needed to eat.

Sam Temple reestablished a flimsy tent which had collapsed long ago. In side, there lay two sunken in sleeping bags and a rusty kettle. He upturned the kettle, revealing nothing but the crusted brown flakes of an unidentifiable substance. Probably, the remains of a soup.

How Sam longed for soup. His mom always made soup in the mornings, when she was heading off to bed from the night shift up the hill at Coats. Sometimes, on the condition of a hug, she would let Sam have a spoonful on his way out the door.

Despite how hungry Sam was, now he wouldn't mind a hug instead. He missed his mom.

But at least he wasn't without a loved one in these times, even if it wasn't his mother. Quite the contrary.

Drake Merwin rummaged around in a nearby, very much abandoned, RV. In regards to food, he hadn't found much, but he did manage to get some clean blankets. Those were a rarity, and he bundled them up to give to Sam later. 

Now, Drake was searching the kitchen. It wasn't as if they could just stroll down to Perdido Beach and grab some food, the whole town certainly wanted them dead.

Well, deader. One out of the pair wasn't exactly alive, and that was why they only really had one mouth to feed; Sam's. He was about to get very lucky.

Drake felt around on the top of the highest shelf. The tip of his tentacle came away coated in dust and sticky spider webs, but also coiled around a forgotten Heath bar.

Drake smirked at the find, cleaning it on his jeans. It was no doubt stale, but Sam couldn't mind. The capacity for pickiness in the FAYZ was as expired as the Heath bar.

But that didn't mean Drake couldn't have some fun. "Hey Sammy, I found something!"

Sam dropped the flap of another tent and answered the call of his semi- affectionate nickname. Meeting Drake at the door of the wrecked RV, Sam noticed that there was something behind Drakes back, his tentacle carefully unfurled behind him.

"Can I know what you found?" Sam was peering behind Drake to no avail. Drake grinned, introducing a little playfulness to his mostly just toothy smile.

"Alright. But I don't know if you can have it..." Drake dangled the Heath bar in Sam's face, making him flinch away.

Upon recovery, Sam's jaw practically dropped. He hadn't seen chocolate in so long. But before he could gladly except the wrapped candy, it was ten feet in the air, dangling in the grasp of an almost lazily triumphant tentacle.

It was taunting, but could barely contest with Drakes grin. He hadn't grinned like that since the start of this mess, back when he was just a garden variety thug.

Recently, his once playful grins had turned monstrous. His lip would curl wickedly, flashing humorless teeth, and eyes would freeze over in cold steel.

It was unnerving to most people, but not Sam. The evil grins made Sam satisfied, the playful grins made him peeved.

Sam hopped, clutched the tentacle to try and pull it down, but it was pure muscle and held. Sam met Drakes grin with a pout. "I could burn your tentacle off, and then it would be mine."

"Oh Sammy, you've already burned me once." His grin faded the second he realized he had brought it up. They stood for a tense moment, remembering what couldn't be remembered, until Drake let the Heath bar fall into Sam's waiting hands.

The brunette wasted no time in tearing the bar from it's wrapper and stealing a bite. The expired chocolate crumbled and gave way to his teeth, but it was still sweet behind the chalkiness.

Sam swooned, savoring the treat, eyes closed. Drake watched on, a little bitter that this particular sweetness would never be in his 'life' again. Forcing himself not to sulk at Sam, the blonde supposed it wasn't all bad. As long as he was dead, he couldn't have what negatives life had to offer. Life wasn't all chocolate, it was pain.  Death brought a trade off. No pain, not really, at the cost of pleasure.

Sam took another bite, almost done with the crumbling bar. He noticed that Drake was looking hard into the distance, and closed the space between them with a step. Sam wrapped the blonde in his arms, burying his face in Drakes shoulder.

Drake realized that this was all the sweetness he could ever need, and relinquished to hug back, confidence regained about his deathlessness.