Chapter 2

Percy admired his father. He knew how to handle the council when they were peeved and he knew how to strategise a war. Everything he did was thought out and meticulous. Not even the council could find fault in him and if Percy didn't find it so admirable, he would have been jealous. Even when his wife had died and his kingdom had been thrust into war, Poseidon had remained level headed and wise.

So why did his concern about Annabeth seem out of place?

Since they had informed his father of Annabeth's true heritage, Poseidon had been nothing if not quiet. He had welcomed her quietly and apologised to her quietly. There were no grand balls thrown in her honour―though Percy was certain she wouldn't want one―and the wedding had been limited to only the necessary parties: the court and the council.

His father had also been rather quiet during council meetings despite Percy asking for his opinion or assistance rather often.

Tartarus had been a sore subject. So sore, in fact, that Percy hadn't dared utter the words "Tartarus" or "Kronos" in the presence of the council after the first time. It had taken nearly half of their meeting to calm the council members and reassure them that he was not trying to offend them. When Percy had asked his father for help, he hadn't done much.

His father hadn't seemed interested in talking of Kronos or Tartarus at all. Now, however, he did.

"Do not allow her to go."

Percy had argued with him until Annabeth appeared. He'd been about to ask why. Why did he care now? Why was Annabeth suddenly his priority now? He hadn't been able to.

Two days later and he still hadn't. He had hardly even seen his father save for during meals. There hadn't been a time to talk privately and now it was too late.

The apology to Athens and Queen Athena had been signed and sent out that morning. By that evening, all of Atlantis would know how the war had changed. The following morning, their soldiers would start the journey to Athens with Percy and Annabeth among them. If Percy were going to ask his father for more answers, it would have to be tonight.

"You know," Annabeth murmured, a small frown on her face as she looked up at him, "I don't think I've ever travelled by carriage."

"What do carriages have to do with―" he glanced at her book, "―The Republic?" 

"Nothing." Annabeth closed her book and turned to face him fully. "I just got lost in thought. Even Plato can start to drag on after an hour."

Percy bit back a smile. If he was reading Plato, he would have gotten lost in thought from the very beginning. Annabeth, however, had not. Be it sheer determination or genuine interest, she seemed to be enjoying the book.

"Too bad there's nothing else for you to do." Percy sidled up beside her. "No one else available to talk to."

He didn't have to work hard to convince her to put away her book. All it took were two soft kisses before he had her full attention and Plato (and carriages) were long forgotten.

It wasn't until the following morning at breakfast that Percy remembered he still needed to talk with his father. 

To his right, Annabeth was listening intently to a story Tyson was telling her. To his left, his father watched silently. Whether he was paying attention to what Tyson was saying or not, Percy did not know. What he did know, however, was that his father seemed just as distracted as when he had last seen him.

Convincing Annabeth to give him and his father a moment alone was easier than Percy would have expected. All it took was one look and she was on the move.

"Tyson," she said, stopping him before he could start a new story, "my friend Rachel would love to hear this too."

Tyson's face lit up and Percy couldn't help but smile as well.

Pushing back her chair, Annabeth said, "Let's go find her together."

Tyson wriggled out of his chair and rushed out of the dining room, looking back eagerly and waiting for Annabeth to follow him. After pressing a kiss to Percy's head and nodding politely at Poseidon, she did just that.

"I believe she's having breakfast in―" 

The doors closed before Percy could hear the rest of her sentence.

For a long moment, the only sound in the dining hall was the tapping on Percy's foot. Beside him, his father took a long, slow drink and Percy's tapping grew more incessant. When at last Poseidon looked up at him, Percy almost erupted with built-up energy.

"How can I help you, Perseus?" 

"Why don't you want Annabeth to go?" Percy blurted, speaking before his father had even finished his question. "She's our best strategist and the only one who understands how Queen Athena thinks. Without her, we'd still be fighting a useless war."

"I have no doubt in Annabeth," Poseidon said calmly. Despite Percy's outburst, he seemed unfazed. "In any other situation, I would recommend that you take her."

"Why is this different then?"

He hadn't meant to sound so irritated, but he didn't apologise. From the moment his father had first mentioned leaving Annabeth in Atlantis, he'd been furious. 

"She is your wife, Percy," Poseidon reminded him. Percy's eyes narrowed. "You're newlyweds and barreling headfirst into a war. What happens if something happens to her in Athens?"

"Nothing will happen to her." Percy would make sure of it himself. 

"I thought the same thing too, once," his father said softly.

Percy's blood froze. 

His heart pounded in his ears as all too suddenly he was struck with the realisation that his father had lived through this decision once before.

"Your mother's death nearly killed me," Poseidon murmured. When he blinked, there were tears in his eyes. "I had more experience ruling and a good council on my side, but you are only just beginning. What happens to the kingdom if something happens to Annabeth?"

The thought was crippling and for a moment, Percy couldn't breathe. All this time, he had been worried that his father held some secret against Annabeth. He had never imagined that it would be fear that drove his father to say what he had.

"No one knows her," Percy managed to say. His voice was hardly more than a whisper. "Athens doesn't know what their princess looks like, let alone the queen of Atlantis."

He spared a glance at his father but was not reassured.

"You cannot guarantee that will be enough," Poseidon warned him kindly. "She made quite a name for herself that day in the throne room. People may already know that it was the Queen who uncovered Prince Kronos's plot."

Percy swallowed thickly. Despite being certain that very few people would recognise her, it wouldn't be enough to protect Annabeth against a rumour like that. Even though their arrival in Athens wouldn't be a secret, it would only be a matter of time before word got out to those who didn't already know. Those, perhaps, who would be upset with her on behalf of the Prince of Tartarus.

"She's coming with me," Percy said, adamant that would not change, "but how do I protect her?"

Poseidon's eyes dropped to the table. "You cannot."