Chapter One Meeting... Him

I sigh, attempting to block out the insults flying at me. My pencil flies over the paper, and I continue to sketch. A line here, a line there. No, that needs a bit more shading. Now that needs to be lighter. One more line... there. I sit back and look at my new masterpiece.

I jump as I feel a hand on my shoulder. I spin around in my chair, startled. When I see its my teacher Mrs. Wisdom, I smile nervously.

But she just smiles. "Why are you so nervous, Harmony? That's a beautiful wolf. Can you tell me about it? How you got the idea, I mean."

I blush, ducking my head and looking at the sketch. I really wasn't expecting that kind of response. I mean, she caught me drawing in her classroom! "I-its a special wolf. It's called Shiranu. It's from a game called Okami. The wolf's name is actually Amaterasu." I explain quietly.

Mrs. Wisdom smiles. "It's very beautiful, Tabitha." She points to a folded peice of notebook paper. "I think you have a note."

I look at it, just now realizing the boy two desks away that kept glancing at me. I look at the unamed boy, studying him. Black rimmed glasses, jeans with a hole on the knee, and a black t-shirt. "I-I didn't notice." I admit, looking away as he meets my gaze. I reach for the note and grab it.

The English teacher continues to study my sketch. "Just don't let notes and drawing get in the way of class, Tabitha. But you do have very good talent." She gives me a smile and walks away, zigzagging through the desks.

I watch her go, then look at the note, reading it.

'Hey, I'm Travis. What's your name? ;-)'

I narrow my eyes, jotting back, 'Why would YOU care? It's none of your business.'

I bite my lip, running ideas through my head if how to get it to him. I look around the classroom as Mrs. Wisdom starts talking to him. He's nodding his head, and I really want to know why he- wait, no. he doesn't care. He's just pretending to care. Yeah, that's it. That's all it is.

Newly named Travis starts to gather up his stuff. I watch him, confused as he starts to make his way to the desk next to mine.

I give him a quizzical look, but hand him the note all the same. He palms it expertly, then sits down in the desk. I look up at the board. 'Free Time.' It says. Oh. So that's why she didn't get on to me. I read the rest of the board. 'Enjoy it while you can. NO PHONES!' The No phones part is underlined several times, probably to get the point across.

I glance back at Travis. Why do I feel as if he really DOES care? He doesn't... he doesn't. Nobody ever has and never will. Even the people online don't mean it when they say the care. I watch Travis as he looks at the paper weirdly, then sccribles a note back and hands it out to me.

I palm it, trying to copy his actions. I pull it onto my desk, reading it.

'But I do care. Why would you say I didn't?'

'Because we just met!' I write back furiously.

He sighs after I give it to him. He then replies, 'I heard the rumors. I may be new here, but word spreads easily. Why can't you trust me? Please, I just see you need help. And I can offer that. At least give me your name?'

I smile softly after reading his reply. He seems trustworthy... I guess I could give him a try. I bite my lip, then reply, 'Tabitha. My name is Tabitha.' I place it on his desk just as the bell rings. I hurry out of the classroom, but he chases me and stops me.

"Care to show me where my next class is? It's Social Studies with Mrs. Timmer." He asks, placing his hand on my shoulder.

I jump, eye him, them nod. I hope this works out. "That's my next class too." I whisper, attempting a smile. "This way."