2.12 | War of Minds

"You've got the world on its knees;you're taking all that you pleaseyou want more,but you'll get nothing from me

you're taking all that you please
you want more,
but you'll get nothing from me."
Enemies - Shinedown

▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅▅

A SHARP RAP on the side of the open door startled Peter from his thoughts. He swiveled to see Felix's tall frame leaning in the doorway.

"Your shadow visited," Felix informed him.

"Visited? Did it not need to speak with me?" Peter rose and crossed his arms over his chest. Rarely did his shadow visit for no reason at all.

"It did, but it spoke with me instead."

"And?" Peter drawled.

"The Truest Believer has been located. Those two imbeciles you sent to retrieve him are closing in, so he should arrive within the week. It also said that even though the second option is not necessary, we should still secure the girl's loyalty – her power will help us," Felix relayed.

Absently, Peter nodded, fiddling with the leather cuffs encircling his wrists. "I was planning on it."

Felix seemed nervous to say something, which was unlike him. He bit his lip and shifted his weight much like Adeline used to. "What did it mean by second option? Is there another way to save the island without the boy? If there is, why have we been pursuing him?"

By the time Felix had become his lieutenant, Peter had completely forgotten about the second option. When he told Felix all about the issue of running out of time, he failed to mention it at all.

"Yes, actually." Peter paused, his eyes sliding from Felix and landing instead on the books splayed on the desk. "If someone is ever to love me, their heart will work just the same."

Felix blinked, surprised. "Is that why you wanted to get Adi back? You think she's in love with you?"

"No, of course not."

"Then why would it matter?" Felix frowned. "I'm no romance expert, but she didn't seem in love with you when she left."

"You're not? Oh, Felix, who am I supposed to go to for relationship advice?" Peter snarked, knowing full well that his lieutenant had never had any interest in such matters.

"Ha," said Felix, without feeling.

"No, I don't think she loved me. It would have happened with time. I love a good challenge." Peter, of course, failed to mention the fact that it had to be requited: the heart would not work if he didn't love her back.

"Good thing you do," Felix said. "Because getting her to return will be far from easy. Getting the boys on board will be even harder."

"How do you figure?"