Chapter XXXI: Tell Me Everything

"Any updates on mom?" I ask Michael. I lay on the couch and kick my feet in the air. My attempt to touch my toes fails.

"She's alright. She's going to come home again for another week on Sunday. The doctor says that if she does well at home, she'll be able to come home for good."

I smile and successfully tap my toe with my forefinger.

"That's good. No, that's great. It's a blessing." 

We catch up on everything from his second football camp session to dad's job hunting. We leave to go home tomorrow, but receiving the news about my mom from Michael makes me impatient. I want to leave now just to see her. Let her embrace me and engulf me in her warm, honey scent. That's one thing about her: she never smelled like 'hospital'.

"Alright, be good," I say hanging up the phone. 

My phone rests on my stomach as my mind reminisces about my mother. I twiddle my fingers when the memories of how she used to tickle me until I couldn't laugh anymore. As I close my eyes, I hear our voices and our laughs causing me to giggle.

"What are you laughing at?"

My eyes shoot open and I jump a bit. Travis is bending down and his face is a few inches away from mine.

I take my hand and push his face back. "My space. You're invading it."

He sits on the coffee table in front of me as I sit up. 

"What?" I ask hoping he won't try anything.

"We need to talk."

I scoff. "About what exactly?"

"Us."

Oh no. 

I quickly stand causing for my phone to slide out of my lap and onto the small area of rug that separates us.

"...Can you...can you get that for me?" I clear my throat. 

"Not until you agree to talk to me."

"Whatever." I bend down to retrieve my phone when his foot covers it. "Travis, I'm not going to ask you. I just want you to do it."

"Do what?"

"I don't have time to play your games. Move your foot!"

The realization of him not moving his phone hits me and I sit back down. Where's Dean? Where's Nicole? Where's Christina and Matt?

"Thank you for your time. I-"

"Can we speed this up? I have something to do with Dean. My boyfriend. Your step-brother. Y'know."

"Okay. I know that you avoid me because my brother tells you to. I understand. Just know that I would never hurt you. I know I've made 'advances' on you when you first came around. I don't know why I did it, but I did. I was also surprised that you, I don't know, responded well to it?"

I look away and feel my face get hot.

"My past is my past. That's what I want to tell you about right now. Everyone is out back and I'm pretty sure Dean will come running in here soon when he realizes that it's just you and I who are not outside, so I have to tell you now."

My hands get clammy and my knee starts bouncing. Why am I nervous? Shouldn't he be the one who's nervous? Not me.

"Rocky?" Dean calls. Once he walks into the room, an angered expression tells all. He's mad.

"Rocquelle. Don't." He grabs my hands and pulls me up. I see that Travis moved his foot, so I manage to grab my phone before he yanks me into the hallway.