Chapter X: Strawberry Chapstick

“Roquelle, it’s been several days and you haven’t came to see me.” I hated hearing the disappointment in my mom’s voice.

“I’m so sorry mama. I’ve-”

“It’s a boy, huh?”

First of all, she cut me off. Rude. But more importantly, how does she know this? Mother knows best I guess. Mind as well be honest with her.

“Yeah…” I trail off. “His name is Dean.”

“Ahhhh. I see now. Always remember, out of sight, out of mind.”

“Mama please don’t. You always say that whenever you’re mad at me. You just don’t show it.”

“I’m not mad with you. Just don’t forget about me. Okay?”

My heart sunk and my eyes began to water. Her saying ‘Just don’t forget about me’ caused serious heartache.

“I will never forget about you mama. I love you,” I tell her as we hang up.

***

“Wow, you’re balance is horrible.”

I always wanted to learn how to skateboard. Dean said that he’d show me how, but it’s either he’s a bad teacher or I’m a bad student.

“Shutup. I’m trying my best here okay?” I say defending myself.

Hopping back onto the board that’s black and has some kind of green goblin on it, I start to lose my balance and Dean grabs my waist.

“Here let me help you,” he says.

“Thanks.”

“Put both of your feet on the board and I will hold you.”

I did what he said as he continued to hold me.

“Now take your right foot off and push off of the ground.”

To be honest, I’m hella scared. I donot need a nasty brush burn scarring up my knee. I begin to wobble so I hold onto his shoulders as we begin to move forward. Looking at him, we stare at each other in the eyes and he gives me a quick peck on my lips.

“Good job. Now you smell like strawberry chapstick.” Somehow I manage to say this while continuing to hold my balance.

“As long as they’re your lips, I could care less if it was dog sh-”

“Okay okay don’t ruin the moment Dean.”

He just lets out a laugh while nodding his head as he continued to support me by my waist.

***

“YOU ARE NOT THE FATHER!” Maury shouts through the TV. And, of course, the baby mama runs backstage and creates a scene on the floor while the “baby” daddy is doing some kind of dance.

“I call BS on that one,” Jesiah says. “I mean, come on now, that baby has the dude’s nose and big ass head.”

I couldn’t do anything but laugh at Jesiah. Come to think of it, I haven’t hung out with him since school let out for the summer. It’s a good thing that Michael is still at his football camp because it would have been nothing but awkward tension in the house. I still have yet to find out what caused for them to fall out.

Jesiah snaps at me getting my attention and attempts to hand me his cup. “Go refill this. Chop chop.”

Ha, he must be on some other stuff.

I wave him off and continue to look at the babymama having a fit on national TV. She looks like a damn fool.

“What’s up with you and Dean?” he asks.

“Huh?”

“You heard me. You and Dean.”

“We’re friends.”

“I call BS on that too Rock.”

Rolling my eyes, I snatch his cup from the coffee table and start to make my way to the kitchen. I can feel his presence behind me. Like really close. Turning around, he’s giving me a condescending look that 5th grade bullies used to give me while I was in 2nd grade.