Asia, Aisha and Jasmine

Breanna’s POV

( Awaken by her alarm clock, Bre slowly opens her eyes.)          

Uggh another day. I just hoped that something would happen and I wouldn’t have to wake up. I feel a disturbance beside me and remember why I do get up every morning.  I looked down as my daughter Aisha looks at me with her big brown eyes. Her name is pronounced “Asia” but was spelled differently for a reason. Aisha is Swahili for life. That is what she is- my life.

I picked her up, gave her a bath and got her dressed for the day.  Every day I take her to the local YMCA’s day care center. They watch the children of parents that have school or work. Yes, I am 17 with a three-year-old daughter, but it is not what it seems. Anyway, I live with my great-aunt Mae, who is 59 years old and crippled in her left leg. A truck hit her when she was 46 and was walking home from her job as a waitress at a poor dump diner.  The only income we receive is from the little social security check she gets every month and the little jobs, that I do anywhere that will accept me.

I walked into our outdated kitchen to pour a bowl of cereal for Aisha. Our house is the worst on the block. When you come down North Street you pass big beautiful three story houses with green freshly cut grass and sprinklers watering flowers, but at the very end, there is our house.  Our house is not as run down as it could be but compared to our neighbors it is a trash dump. The shingles on the roof are falling off, the porch steps are squeaky and coming apart and the grass, well there is no grass except for a little piece in the middle.  Growing there are Yellow Jasmines. These flowers are the most important things to me besides Aisha and Aunt Mae because my Grandma Hattie planted them. She was my favorite person, my hero and best friend growing up. She never did one injustice towards me but always taught me respect and gave me a feeling of true admiration. The only time I felt sadness when in her presence was the day she died. She was 87 but she still got around as if she was 35. Doctors told me she died of old age but I still have a hard time believing that because of the last words she said to me.  

Flash Back

Hattie: (Lying in her bed, and talking in a whisper because of her condition.) Breanna?

Bre: Yes, ma’am I’m here.

Hattie: Come here child. (Takes Bre’s hand in hers.) Well it seems as if I don’t have much time left but I just want you know that you are someone. You can be whatever you want and no one I mean no one can stop you. You hear me?

Bre: Yes Ma’am but don’t talk like that you aren’t going anywhere.

Hattie: Bre I have accepted that it is my time. However, there is one more thing you should know. When I’m gone they will tell you one thing but you must not believe them. You must grow up and learn the truth. (Closes eyes.)

Bre: (Watches as her eyes close and her grip loosen.) Grandma what are you taking about! Open your eyes you can’t leave like this! (Falls over the bed in an endless sob.)

Flash Back Over

I wipe  tears from my eyes just as Aunt Mae limps into the kitchen with Aisha on her hip.

Mae: Good Moring.

Bre: Good morning Auntie.

Ashia: Gwud Mowring! (Smiling because she thinks she is an adult.)

Bre: (Takes Aisha from her aunt and sits her in front of her breakfast.)

Mae: It looks as if you are running late this morning.

Bre: (Lets out a groan after seeing it is already 7:45 and she still has to get Aisha to the YMCA.)

Mae: It’s okay I’ll take her. You just go on to school.

Bre: No Aunt you stay here and rest I’ll just be a little late that’s all.

Mae: Nonsense. You need an education so one day you can get Ashia and yourself out of here. Anyway, I was picking her up today because you got band practice.

Dang, I forgot about practice today. Uggh I’m wearing jean shorts, which aren’t allowed on the practice field. Because I was so late and learned not to argue with my Aunt, I kissed her and Ashia and left for school. I guess I will be practicing in shorts today!