Why Current Structure of Online Courses Needs to Be Improved

Online courses have offered diverse amenities and conveniences to students in recent times as the boom and expansion of online education realm has taken place, but at the same time there are also some loopholes occurring in the entire process that need to be pinpointed and understood carefully. In the wake of increasing the number of enrollments through these courses and increasing the monetary influence of the university providing these online courses, institutes have been compromising on the quality standards of the courses that are being offered to students under the platform of these universities and institutes.

In times when the number of enrollments of online courses and studies is increasing massively, it comes as no surprise that universities and institutes in order to gain lead from one another are moving into a race that can provide them with a upper edge as compared to others. According to a report by the Pew Research Center, “The Digital Revolution and Higher Education,” 23 percent of the students have been reported to enroll in online courses and degree programs. This number will simply double if the number of students who have graduated from these institutes in the last 10 years are also incorporated in the research sample chosen for conducting the study.

The increasing number of enrollments in online courses and degree programs based on different subjects has simply increased manifold and this has to be accommodated with the creation of more online institutes and universities. However, it is under the umbrella of this expanding influence of online education and the number of institutes that are increasing steadily that has indirectly forced universities and their subsequent administration to take steps through which they can simply focus on increasing the number of enrollments without providing any concentration to the nature and quality of the course that they are providing to students.  

Some of the major shortcomings in the entire process that have been pointed out in the research show that there are considerable differences in terms of opinions when students and teachers are asked with the same question. An example of this as provided in the research was observed when both parties were asked the question regarding the difference in terms of the way education is imparted online in comparison to traditional means of education.

51 percent responded positively. When students were asked the same question, only 29 percent responded yes. When asked why students prefer opting for the online courses and degree programs offered by the particular university, it was answered by most teachers that it was primarily because of the flexibility in the educational schedule and class timings that they provided to students under all conditions. however, it is important to state here that students do not intend to join a university merely for the fact that it provides them a certain relaxation in terms of education, but so that they are able to meet and get themselves be acquainted with the world class teaching criterions that can help them in ending up with better employment opportunities.   

Author Bio:

Johnson Blake is a professional educational consultant who has helped students in getting admissions in top universities around the world. For more visit:

http://www.woodbridgeuniversity.com/programs/certificate/undergraduate-course-certificate.asp