9. FAILED ATTEMPT

PLEASE COMMENT, I LOVE THE FEEDBACK

__________________

❝ war, children, it's just a shot away 

Jaqueline woke with a gasp, chest tight with pain. She fell onto the cold ground, pushing up onto shaky hands and bruised knees.

She couldn't breath.

It was a panic attack, she thought. It had been awhile since she had one. Years even. The last one was probably in 1940 when she had fought with her parents and Steve was there to comfort his friend. Now it was different, Jaqueline was alone.

She struggled with sitting upright and , yanking out a necklace out of her pillowcase. She curled up under the covers, the piece of jewelry staring at her.

"What's the date," Jaq managed to croak out. She blankly took in the features of the jewelry, how the silver chain contrasted with my olive skin and how the bright red ruby that rested on its chain, reminded her of Bucky. He had given it to her as a promise to return home after he left for war.

"You were under for two weeks, soldier." The guard on post outside the room stated, Jaq knew he was there, feeling his indifferent persona. "You are to accompany me to the lab for prep."

The female soldier nodded dutifully, knowing questioning him would get no answers. Following behind the soldier with no name, she took  in the dark surroundings. It was quiet, probably 7 at night right after the guards switched onto the night shift.

Jaqueline laid on the chair patiently, waiting for the doctor to come and assess me. She was in the doctor's room, to say so at least. More like the experimentor.

An hour passed and she huffed in annoyance with no doctor, boss, or orders. Hopping off the chair and exiting the room, Jaq noticed how silent the halls had become. She heard a shout in the distance and followed the noises to a room full of guards and the boss, Alexander Pierce. He fleetingly glanced at the young woman before turning to the soldier beside him.

"Where is he?" Pierce's cold exterior made Jaq shudder, yet she dutifully followed behind him. This was probably what held up her own examination. 

"Sir he's unstable, erratic." The soldier began shakily, trying to stop him from engaging.

Jaq furrowed dark eyebrows in confusion but stayed silent over the amount of people surrounding the the door to the bigger lab. In the centre, was Bucky again. This time, he wasn't hooked up to the machine but was sitting on the chair, staring vacantly at the ground.

The door shut behind Jaq and Pierce and Jaq waited patiently as Pierce held up his arms to calm the soldiers around them. Jaq, however, was tense with the amount of guns in the room, keeping her arms close to the concealed knife under her shirt. She always hid a knife, she could never trust anyone. 

Pierce stopped in front of Bucky, sighing at how tired he looked– he didn't look like a real soldier, he looked weak. "Mission report" Pierce ordered, staring at his toy soldier. "Mission report now," he yelled louder, trying to get his attention. Bucky didn't reply... Until a loud SMACK was heard throughout the room. It became dead silent, and Jaq held her breath in anticipation for something to go wrong.

"The man on the bridge" Bucky breathed out, barely recognising his boss. "Who was he?" He looked up at the surrounding men and Jaqueline sighed in relief. The brunette woman stepped forward, she could tell him about her— about Steve– 

"You met him earlier this week on another assignment." Pierce interrupted the hopeful woman's train of thought. Jaq just wanted Bucky back.

"I knew him," he breathed out again, his eyes hazy as he was recalling what had happened on his mission.

Pierce sighed, pulling up a chair to sit down beside Bucky. "Your work has been a gift to mankind. You shaped the century. And I need you to do it one more time. Society is at a tipping point of order and chaos. Tomorrow morning we're gonna give it a push. But, if you can't do your part, I can't do mine. And HYDRA can't give the world it's freedom it deserves."

"But I knew him." Bucky whispered and Jaq's eyes burned with unshed tears at his broken expression. He was so lost.

"Prep him." He ordered and Jaq shot up, confused. Wait what?

"What?" Jaqueline shouted, anger coursing through her veins— but he was just about to remember Steve— he was about to remember her.

Alexander Pierce glared at Jaqueline with hatred and she sent one right back at him. He was using Bucky... He would kill Bucky.

"He's been out of cryo for too long." The doctor stuttered, staring at his boss in fear. He at least, knew the dangers of what could happen.

"Then wipe him and start over."

"No!" Jaq shouted at Pierce, watching Bucky look towards her as she caused a commotion. She stepped forwards but the soldiers surrounding the young woman restrained her from getting any closer. 

"YOU KNOW THE MAN ON THE BRIDGE— YOUR NAME IN BUCKY BARNES AND THE MAN ON THE BRIDGE IS YOUR FRIEND STEVE R—"

Jaq struggled to get away from the guards, kicking one in the groin while letting a knife fly towards Pierce. She gasped as Brock Rumlow, a top soldier, stepped in front of Pierce and smacked the incoming weapon away.

Alexander Pierce chuckled at her failed attempt as more guards took the knife and pinned her against the wall. She hissed in pain, but didn't care, she watched as Bucky's confused expression hardened as the doctor prepped him. Bucky opened his mouth slowly, letting the doctor insert a mouth guard and restraints grasped his arm. His eyes darted towards the young assassin who was causing the outburst– what was she saying?

"Get her out of here, she can't be the first face he sees in here." Pierce spat out orders and Jaq screamed in frustration— this wasn't her first time trying to make Bucky remember.

º   º   º

HOLY HELL THANK YOU FOR 800 FAVOURITES
But, my story doesn't even have 50 comments (sadness) so please comment below:

If you've seen Civil War

If you haven't seen Civil War