Prologue

It doesn't make sense. It never does. One day, my mom will think that this is the perfect place to live, but three months later, she'll tell me to pack up again. She's been like this since dad died though, almost five years ago. Its like she always wants to start over. Like she's afraid of making mistakes and confronting them.

But here we go again, just her and me, driving silently to our new house in California. Its gonna be hard here though. Of all of the places I've lived, this is probably gonna be the most different. especially for Senior year.

"So, are you excited?" 

I looked to my left, pausing my Lana Del Rey music playing from my iPhone.

"Just like always," I replied sarcastically. My mom glanced at me, then looked back to the road. 

"Del, it will be fine here. I promise," she said, reaching over and squeezing my hand.

It will be fine. 

Whatever. I swear she says that every time.

I resumed my music as my mom parked in front of a large, modern, house. Looks just like the pictures. The moving trailer was parked behind us, already unloading the boxes of our things.

I heard the car door open, then close again, but I stayed still in the seat and watched my mom jog up to help the people with the boxes. 

I wish I could help her. Its been so hard for her to trust since dad. She's practically killing herself, and I'm just here to witness it.