The Dark Circle (Chapter Three)

CHAPTER THREE

The Tale of Marcus Saddler

      The circus was filled with loud, horrifying screams of the circus “freaks”, as they call themselves. He spotted one of them, dressed in a black suit. He was about in his mid-thirties. Julian went and approached him.

          “Greetings, monsieur. Can I help you?” asked the man in black as he saw Julian come toward him. He had a French accent.

          “Oh, hello. Good day. I just wanted to ask some questions to you, if you don't mind, sir?” asked Julian

          “Well, of course I don't mind, monsieur...?”

          “Julian, just call me Julian.”

          “Okay, well then,  Julian, come with me. I am sure you want a quieter place to ask your questions?”

          “Yes, if you may.”

          Julian was having second thoughts about this. It’s not that he's scared of the man. He can snap his neck into two anytime he wanted.   But he just wasn't sure about this.

          The man in black took him inside a big tent. Inside it were glamorous furniture and antique decors. It was a place Julian could have lived in! The mixture of the oriental carpets and the table lamps embellished with dark, floral designs and the furniture which looks like it was hand made by a brilliant sculptor. It was certainly Julian's taste.

          “Make yourself at home” said the man in black pointing to a chair near him.

          “Thank you, sir. I haven't quite gotten your name?”asked Julian.

          “Oh. Yes, yes. It is Adrien Marseille. As you can see, I am of French descent.”

          “Yes, I have noticed that on your accent, Monsieur Marseille”

          “Oh, so you can speak French?”

          “Quite well actually.” answered Julian politely.

          “Mm-hm. So, what were those questions of yours you wanted to ask?”

          “I just wanted to ask you how long have you been here in London?”

          “About a year and a half. Why?”

          “Oh. Nothing. I was just asking. So, all your life, you have been staying in France?

          “Well, no. I have been traveling a lot, actually, with my circus. I have been to places in Asia and America. But I have stayed in France until I was 18.”

          “Oh, I see. I have another question. Where did you get the name of this circus?”

          “Well, the name is actually famous in France. When I was little,  my father used to tell me about stories of a secret society that was formed hundreds of years ago. It was called the Dark Circle. “

          “Do you know the whole story?”

          “But, of course”

          “Do tell, then, please”.

          “Alright. Let's see. My father said that it was formed by an inhuman being named Marcus...he started.