Chapter 26: A Cup of Tea for the Lady

Ceramic bowls made a loud tap, swiftly followed by the bamboo chopsticks with their tiny holders

Ceramic bowls made a loud tap, swiftly followed by the bamboo chopsticks with their tiny holders. The sweet aroma of ramen filled the air which had the perfect combination of seasoned meat and herbs and veggies combined. It had slices of pork, shiitake mushroom, raw egg, and other ingredients. Obito stared at his bowl with excited eyes like a child who was ready to gobble up his meal. Two ceramic cups are placed down on the table and the server girl fills them both afterwards. The served food looked like a good meal. But before the server could turn to leave the samurai sips her cup, sets it down gently, and says, "Could I have a cup of tea instead?"

Instantly, the server got both nervous and puzzled at the same time. It would be bad if she didn't like what she got, subsequently the girl would get scolded by the boss again. "Is the sake not to your liking, madam?" Her voice asked almost with dread.

"There's nothing wrong with your sake, I simply prefer tea. I apologize for the trouble," Yoshie replied. The whole time she remained composed, seated like a noble with confident poise. It surprised the girl. It wasn't everyday there would be nice customers. Yet this woman who definitely wasn't from there acted politely with such a mysterious aura around her. She was awed. Without further instructions needed, the girl bowed politely and hurried back to the kitchen.

"You don't drink alcohol?" Obito asked while he drank his.

"Not really," she told the ninja and picked up her chopsticks. "I used to drink with my father. But only minimally. I never liked the after-feeling of a sip. I prefer tea, as I told the girl earlier."

"The punch is the reason why people like it."

"Count me out. I'm one of the strange ones who don't appreciate sake," Yoshie said with a slight grin. Obito's heart skipped a beat at the rare sight. "I remember having a drinking session with my father. He wanted to see how much I could hold my alcohol."

Obito smiled and took a bite of the noodles. "I would like to see that."

"It was nuts. My father went cup after cup but I only had three cups and I was sure I was starting to feel a little tipsy. Father went yapping how weak I was for only have three cups. Moreover, I think he had three bottles already. He was already on his fourth though but he still wasn't red on the face. He seemed more sober than I was," Yoshie chuckled.