Cindyrella

Prologue

Silence engulfed the streets of Panerence, there was no people running up and down the usually busy streets, even the Bell of Lucifaith had gone silent. Cindy looked out her bedroom window at the silence and sadness. She had not been allowed to the queen’s funeral, but her father and mother had, so the mansion was also as silent as the town.

Her nanny, Julia, walked towards her and put an arm around her shoulders. “We all loved the queen Cindy, you aren’t the only one mourning,” she whispered. Cindy turned around, her auburn hair tucked into a bun.

Her almond brown eyes glistened with tears. She looked very beautiful. “I am not mourning for the Queen. But I am mourning for my parents,” she said quietly.

Julia frowned, “and why is that Cindy?”

The young girl didn’t say anything for a long time, finally she looked up from the window, “they will soon die, they are not as young as they used to be, soon they will be in a coffin encrusted with jewels just like the Queen is now.”

Julia nodded, “You have always been a child of knowledge, my dear.”

Cindy said nothing, but her nanny could tell she was pleased.

~~~

Later that night, as the stars engulfed the skies, the young girl sat playing her harp. Beautiful music swam through the house. Her mom and dad sat at different ends of the table, smiling at her.

When she was done, her father got up, his face pale. “I feel ill,” he told Cindy’s mother.

His wife looked up, a troubled look on her face; “you can have the bed all to yourself tonight if you wish.” She said, concerned. He nodded, his face getting paler but the minute, and exited the drawing room.

Cindy put her harp back on its stand and glanced at her mother, who’s eyes showed concern within them. 

It was time to go to bed.