Chapter five- In which my mother catches a terrible fever

"Scarlet fever!" The doctor announced as he stepped out of the room and into the hallway. Joyce and Allen, for once, were quiet. All I could do was stare at the ground, tears gathering in my eyes. 

No one had ever survived the scarlet fever. No one. That's what father had died from as well, and now my mother had it. 

"So what do we do about it?" asked my step father, sounding bored. The doctor harrumphed, "make her as comfortable as possible until she dies. There's no obvious cure. I give her three days."

Three days!

I couldn't stand it anymore.

I ran out of the hallway and out the door to the stable, where Michael was supposed to be working. He wasn't there, but a note was stapled to one of the doors.

I've gone to the market. Be back at sundown.

Michael, stable boy.

I grabbed the note and shoved it into the pocket of my dress. The sun was high in the sky, it only a few minutes from lunch. Why would Michael be staying out for so long?

He had taken my horse, Chrysilla.

I cursed under my breath. Where were the people I loved when I needed them most?

A thought made its way into my mind like a cool breeze. What about Gerald?

He didn't like me, but I liked him. Michael was at the market and I needed someone to console me, and no one in my "family" could help me.

I took Marian, my mother's mare, out of the stable and saddled up. I was about to ride out when I heard someone cough behind me.

I turned around and saw Joyce standing there, his blue eyes staring at me with disgust, "Why in Lucifaith's name aren't you riding side saddle?"

Marian snorted, she was getting restless.

"Leave me alone ugly. I need to go see a friend," I said, sticking my tongue out at him.

Joyce stuck out his hip to one side and sighed, "Then at least let me take you, I don't want to be related to the only tomboy in the kingdom!"

"We aren't related," I growled and kicked Marian's side, causing her to rear up and gallop out of the stable, ignoring Joyce's taunts and cat calls. I smiled to myself and hugged Marian's neck, taking in the scent of warm hay.

In only a few minutes, I was off the dirt road that led to my home and onto the main street. It was starting to get late, so the traffic on the road was considerably lighter than it would've been an hour before.

Gerald lived on a small street with small but beautiful houses. His was by far the largest at the end of the street, since Gerald's father owned all the other cottages and rented them to royals and commoners (very rich commoners) who were visiting the castle.

They must've seen me coming, since there was a servant standing outside, ready to take my horse to their stables.

I thanked the servant and opened the door to the large cottage, only to hear arguing coming from the drawing room.

"I'LL BE DAMNED IF THAT GIRL COMES INTO THIS HOUSE. I DON'T CARE IF HER MOTHER IS DYING AND HER STEP FATHER IS A DUKE, SHE IS A BAD INFLUENCE ON EVERYONE!"

"Father please-"

"NO! SEND HER AWAY!"

"B-but-"

"NO BUTS GERALD! SHE'LL STINK UP THIS HOUSE WITH THE SMELL OF SERVANTS!"

"Y-yes father."

Gerald emerged and slowly made his way towards me, his eyes apologetic, "I'm sorry Cindy, but my father won't have your-"